HybridZ

Fuel Injection or Carb ?

Guest 1Bad240Z

Guest 1Bad240Z

Hey guys I was just wondering what all of your opinions are on the question.......

In california for the early model Z's Carbed motors or LT1 LS1 ... and WHy

Carburetors are dinosaurs!!!! Computer controlled fuel injection is WAY more efficient. And can give you all of the performance you can use. Why do you think all auto manufacturers have changed to EFI? Just look at the performance that is available in the new factory hotrods.

Well fuel injection is much more effecient... if you get the right equipment and set it up properly. The drawbacks can be getting it setup properly and depending what HP you are at it can be very expensive.

Carbs are cheaper and easier to setup.

Well, this is sort of an apples to oranges comparasin, but I just spent the last week or so figuring out a chevy FI system. (I'm puting it into an 86 rx7) It's an older TBI system mind you, but it is still quite advanced compared to a carb, and will start/run/drive the same ALL the time.. My 75 280 has dual SU's and they work.. it runs a bit rich, sometimes it is hard to start, sometimes it bogs and pops a bit.. I'm going to leave it alone as it is prety much original, and for now, still runs/drives well. If you're gona do a V8 swap, I'd go with FI over carbs.

Hey guys I was just wondering what all of your opinions are on the question.......

In california for the early model Z's Carbed motors or LT1 LS1 ... and WHy

Welcome to HybridZ. The question you are asking has been asked and answered by many people. To help you find all the data that's already been posted about this do an advanced search for "carb FI" searching only in the "Chevy V8Z Tech Board". I just tried it, and the search returned good information that will help you determine what works best for you.

Hope this helps.;)

Yes, this topic has been discussed over and over again, but as the FI technology keeps advancing and LS1 engines become ever more popular, it’s worth revisiting the discussion.

That said, I’m still going with a simple 4-barrel vacuum-secondary Holley. Why? Because whereas I fancy myself to be reasonably competent with automotive engineering and the occasional custom fabrication, my skills in basic auto mechanics are mediocre at best, especially in automotive electronics. For a daily-driver FI is the ultimate solution, but for a very occasional car (and mostly a wannabe race car) carbs are a satisfactory alternative. If I can’t tune the carb, I can find a local mechanic who can. That won’t work for a custom FI system.

Guest SupraGuy
Yes, this topic has been discussed over and over again, but as the FI technology keeps advancing and LS1 engines become ever more popular, it’s worth revisiting the discussion.

Michael...you bring up a really good point. I have only been a member now for a short period of time, but I have been a guest at this site for a couple of years...ever since I picked up my Z. I know that every letter I type here costs the hosts money, and I am grateful for this site being here. Please don't get me wrong. In addition, I know that some new folks might not know that they can simply search old discussions to find answers to there problems, but it really bums me out when people get flamed for asking a question that's already been asked. I thought automotive message boards were just as much, if not more about gear heads getting together to discuss, than gearheads searching in solitude for there answers, afraid to ask a question for fear that they'll just get told to do a search.

In response to the carburetor thing. Age old debate! I will face some opposition in saying this, but in a naturally aspirated application, it is much cheaper and easier to make more power with a carburetor than with a fuel injection system. The name of the game, however, is not always max power per dollar. In fact, in a 240z street car, the car is so light that a 400 hp mill will pretty much be as fast as a 600 hp mill. A fuel injected motor will be more reliable than a carbureted motor, but if you don't go crazy you can have a wicked fast Z with a carb, it will be just as reliable as any other carburated vehicle, and you won't have to spend your kids college money to afford it.

Michael...you bring up a really good point. I have only been a member now for a short period of time, but I have been a guest at this site for a couple of years...ever since I picked up my Z. I know that every letter I type here costs the hosts money, and I am grateful for this site being here. Please don't get me wrong. In addition, I know that some new folks might not know that they can simply search old discussions to find answers to there problems, but it really bums me out when people get flamed for asking a question that's already been asked. I thought automotive message boards were just as much, if not more about gear heads getting together to discuss, than gearheads searching in solitude for there answers, afraid to ask a question for fear that they'll just get told to do a search.

The point about the searching is that the more questions get asked the harder it is to actually use a search to answer your question. So if you ask a question for the Nth time you're doing a disservice to anyone who tries to search. You apparently haven't been around too long, but start counting threads that say "I searched but all I found were threads telling me to search" and the problem gets worse as more people don't search.

There is an incredible amount of information here, and people who know don't always want to repeat themselves. The search function could work better, to be sure. But to not use it is compounding the issue.

If you have seen an old thread that makes a point that you take issue with, then revive that thread. The person who may wrote the original thread may not even be here anymore, but the argument can continue anyway.

Guest SupraGuy
The point about the searching is that the more questions get asked the harder it is to actually use a search to answer your question. So if you ask a question for the Nth time you're doing a disservice to anyone who tries to search. You apparently haven't been around too long' date=' but start counting threads that say "I searched but all I found were threads telling me to search" and the problem gets worse as more people don't search.

There is an incredible amount of information here, and people who know don't always want to repeat themselves. The search function could work better, to be sure. But to not use it is compounding the issue.

If you have seen an old thread that makes a point that you take issue with, then revive that thread. The person who may wrote the original thread may not even be here anymore, but the argument can continue anyway.[/quote']

Hey...you really put it in perspective. I didn't know that you could revive threads. That is a pretty cool idea. Thanks.