HybridZ

electroluminescent gauges for 70-78 Z

Hey guys just thought this would be a nice thing for our Z's.

The link is http://www.speedhut.com

This company is in the process of getting enough orders for a complete kit for EL gauge faces. This kit includes a face for every factory gauge in the car, including the clock. I'm the 11th order, which means once 9 more people place an order, they will start production. There are several face color, illumination color, font, and graphic options to pretty much personalize your gauge faces. They also make aftermarket 5" and 2-1/16" gauges with the same custom options as thier gauge faces. (Think, you could have additional gauges that match your gauge faces!) The basic kit starts at $119.95 USD, and the company is based in Utah, so you're even buying American. What is there to lose? If you want to see a pic of a satisfied customer, go to dimequarterly.com and look at the online issues. This person has them for his '70 510. This also would, in addition to personalizing your Z, take care of the lighting problem. (We all know how dimly lit factory Z gauges are)

My gauges are a "cool blue" face with white "beetle" font lettering and reverse EL illumination. The deposit for an order is the ridiculous sum of ONE DOLLAR. That is; if they never reach the production quota of 20 units (only need nine more orders), you will only lose a dollar, not $119.95.

Oh well, thank you all for the best Z site on the web, kickin it out to you from Bahrain! (Should be back in the states sometime this yr, then my Z will be fair game for lots of improvements!)

We had the same company make them for the 510. I got mine about 2 months ago but have not yet installed them.

speedhut_elgauges_01.jpg

speedhut_elgauges_02.jpgspeedhut_elgauges_03.jpg

The quality looks great and one of the 510 guys did an article on them in the Dime Quarterly (510 newsletter)

See it here:

http://www.dimequarterly.tierranet.com/articles/productreviews/SpeedHut_EL_Gauges.shtml

Guest Battle Pope

I will probably preorder a set of these as I will be driving my car at night sometimes.

I also posted this info on a local Z club board so maybe it will pick up a few more preorders there too.

So if I understand this correctly, we can all order different options (dial color, font style, etc.)?

I already have an Ultralite Autometer Speedo and Tach, and I'd like to keep my other stock gauges; but have them match in style and color to the Ultrlite's. Would this work? Do I have to get all the gauges, even if I don't need the Speedo and Tach?

Guest Battle Pope

the 240 has a volt meter and the tach redlines at 7k. the 260 and 280 have amp meters and redline at 6500. Other than that I don't know.

There are 19 orders now. If its still available in the morning when I get home from Chile, I will be the 20th. I would order now, but I don't know what speedo I have, so I need to see the car before finalizing my order.

• 3 months later...
Guest alanq64

Did those of you get them? I'm currently waiting in iraq for a plane ride home and will order these for my 280 if those of you who ordered them got them.

Did those of you get them? I'm currently waiting in iraq for a plane ride home and will order these for my 280 if those of you who ordered them got them.
I got mine about a week ago. They are really nice, just need to get around to installing them.

• 1 year later...

I got mine awhile back but never reported on them. They look great! Totally transformed the look of my interior. I do recommend you guys RETAIN THE FACTORY LIGHTING when using these, however, otherwise if you have Reverse EL-Glo you won't be able to see the needles!

I had to take my dash out 3 times until I was satisfied with the look. (With the Reverse EL glo and the factory backlighting it lends a cool blue, factory look to it that's still out of this world. Think the "Cocoon" title screen and that's what my gauges look like at night.)

I have also indulged in speedhut's other products, namely a matching boost gauge and air/fuel gauge. I just ordered a wide-band so I can tune my turbo swap. I have nothing but good things to say about this company.