HybridZ

Oval lug holes

I don't know if this is the case with your rims, but years ago (well, decades really) they used to make rims with oval holes for the lug nuts. You then had different inserts, one per lug, you could use depending on the bolt circle on the axle. I don't know how long they manufactured these and, for all I know, maybe they still do. Anyway, I thought I'd bring this up in case that's what you have.

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

That sounds like a typical "shank" style lug nut, most alloy wheels use shank style nuts. I would not use a wheel with ovaled holes on my car. If you really like these wheels you might see if one of the companies that fixes bent wheels can help you fix the holes. I used 1-800-FIXARIM with good results.

240Z wheels are lug centric and rely on the lug studs and nuts to properly center the wheel on the hub. If the holes in the wheel are ovaled there's no way of knowing if the centering is correct. You might not have problems for days, months, or years but one day you might have a wheel center or a lug stub break. There's no way of knowing without checking the wheel or the studs for fatigue cracks.

Its your ***.

I don't know if this is the case with your rims' date=' but years ago (well, decades really) they used to make rims with oval holes for the lug nuts. You then had different inserts, one per lug, you could use depending on the bolt circle on the axle. I don't know how long they manufactured these and, for all I know, maybe they still do. Anyway, I thought I'd bring this up in case that's what you have.

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ[/quote']

Yes, I remember those! I had a set of wheels (manufactured by E.T.) that had the oval stud through holes. Oval washers, with different spacing, were used to accommodate different stud centers.

intresting john well i will take some measurements to make sure the holes are exactly where they should be, if they are is there any chance im okay or should i just get rid of them and look else where?

A professional did the resizing of the lug holesmaybe thats worth something, i dont know.