HybridZ

200,000 miles and still going

bigeZ

Just hit the 200,000 mile mark in my 83 na on my way from TX to Iowa and the engine is still running very strong and no leaks. Except for a mystery radiator fluid leak (dont know where the heck its going).

Would it be hard to convert my motor to synthetic and would there be any advantages in doing so??

Also car sat for a week and now i have a loud clunking noise when i acelerate in 1st gear and then slow down using 1st gear. Loud clunk near axle. Havent had time to investigate but its not a good sound. Does not make the noise when i slow down using the break. Wondering if anybody has herd this noise?

Ill investigate tomarrow.

No there would be no problems switching to synthetic. The benefits are less friction (more power and less wear and tear), and longer oil change interval. I downside is since synetic will clean out the gunk that has built over time you engine may start to leak or burn oil if your seals are not in good shape. About the clunking noise see if it is a loose exhaust or a bad cv shaft.

Ive been using synthetice for a couple of years now, in my ZXT. The car is about to hit 200k itself and Im well proud of how well she runs and compression is still at 145 on all cylinders.

I just love how these engines stay together.

I have HEARD, that after switching to synthetic after using regular dino oil on an older car, you may develop gasket leaks. This was supposedly due to the synthetic oil not working well with some older gasket materials and allowing the old gaskets to shrink a bit and start to leak. Once again, this is what I've heard from older mechanics, but not seen first hand.

Yeah. I gave my son an '83 here a while back that had 216,000 original miles on it. It's somewhere north of 220,000 now. I would watch oil consumption if you switch to synthetic. If you're already using oil it will get worse with the synthetic and, at $6 a quart, that will get expensive.

Guest Z Draci

Your car sounds a lot like my 280ZX turbo car! The disappearing coolant might be as simple as the water pump or it may be the head gasket (if you open the radiator cap while warm and a lot of gas escapes).

The rear clunk is annoying. I have it too! I've heard it could be weak rear differential bushings. Do a quick search either here or at zcar.com to come up with possibilities.

Guest bastaad525

My '80 N/A ZX had 280,000 miles on it before I pulled the motor and rebuilt it, not because it was having any problems, but because I wanted to do a full performance build, flat top pistons, N42 head (it had the P79 on it originaly) and lots of other goodies. That motor ran great, started right up every day, was driven daily, and used only a little oil, like maybe 3/4 quart between 3000 mile oil changes.

On a high mileage engine, I would be reluctant to switch over to Synth oil. I have PERSONALLY seen it happen where you switch to synthetic on a motor that did not leak and suddenly get leaks. I have also personally seen it happen on my own car, where switching from regular to synthetic on a motor that WAS leaking made the leak noticeably worse.

On the other hand, after running synthetic for a very long time in several cars, I have little doubt that it does make for a happier, better running, longer lasting motor. I firmly believe that it does lubricate and protect better, it also gets to bearings etc. more quickly when starting cold. And it's also well known that you can run synthetic longer... on my turbo motor I change it out every 5000 miles, on an N/A motor I will go like 8000, after reading several long term studies on the subject.

My 83 ZXT 2+2 just rolled 1/4 million miles. 250,000 miles. I had to do some minor fixing including a leaky exhaust manifold, valve stem seals, and broken exhaust stud. The factory head gasket is still there! It's never been opened up. I am the second owner. The car is good shape still and runs well. It'll almost do 15 flat in the 1/4 mile. Not bad for a car rated at 3300 lbs. and is 22 years old!

I had an '83 280ZX NA and had an opportunity to put it on a set of certified truck scales. With 3/4 tank of gas it weighed 2880 lbs. 1430 on the nose & 1450 on the tail. I would imagine your ZXT would weigh in under 3,000 lb and probably be even closer to a 50/50 weight distribution. Cool.