HybridZ

Catalytic converter in L6 to elleviate fume stench?

ezzzzzzz

I had a Magnaflow high-flow cat installed when I had my 3" exhaust done on my '73 240Z Turbo. I think it was well worth it. It's like driving a modern verhicle now. I don't even have the back of the car sealed up 100%. High-flow cats are cheap now days, they have minimal effect on engine power, and I've never had any issues with the floor heating up. So, for not much of a downside, I was able to make my Z more enviromentaly friendly. However, if you car isn't tuned very well and is dumping out a lot of crap, a cat isn't the correct solution.

Nigel

'73 240ZT

I was testing the waters here. I also feel that a cat is a good addition. I have two from a 5.7 LS1 in garage. If one can support 2.85 liters at 170 hp then it should work fine in my 2.4 pushing 150 hp. All of my seals are new (although I question how tight the fit is). I will be dropping the gas tank to replace all of the vent hoses and using shrink tubing in place of the body grommets. I'll also be filling in any other holes I can locate throughout the rearend. There is no question that the stench is Nox from the exhaust and not raw petrol fumes. I just installed my Dellorto's and will fine tune them to reduce emissions too. On a side note, has anyone used plug wires that have straight boots at the distributor? The 90* boots just never look right fighting for position to the plugs.

get wide band o2 set up to tune the dell ortos.if you are running rich the cat will over heat.if the car was never originally equipped with a cat i would not install 1.cars that had oem cats had heat shielding installed.the oem mounting position was in center of car under driveshaft.do not mount a cat close to a gas tank.the cat was not installed on any car to be a full time exhaust mop-up.it was only installed for idiots that dont tune thier cars up and brief moments like when the throttle gets closed at speed.the ideal situation is to burn all fuel in the engine.if you really want to help the enviroment get a good efi system.i have seen well running efi cars pass a emissions test with gutted cats.

• 1 year later...

I installed the cat in the spring, and I can honestly say it was the right thing to do. It used to stink a lot and make my eyes burn, now I can roll down the hood with the windows down and not worry a bit. No fumes, no more tears. ;) It's a 3" high flow 3-way cat on 3" exahust. No problems.

All of my seals are new (although I question how tight the fit is). I will be dropping the gas tank to replace all of the vent hoses and using shrink tubing in place of the body grommets. I'll also be filling in any other holes I can locate throughout the rearend.

Check the 2 hatch plugs and make sure the interior hatch panel is sealed good. Air can enter through the latch area.