HybridZ

Polishing

Confused

I am currently polishing up an old Valve cover for a "friend". Its coming along quite well though I know it will take a while. I started with 220 Grit and am still using it. After this I will move to 400 then 800.

IMAG0022.jpg

My camera suck, but if you look you can see where Ive been going at it. If not, its between the first and second bolts.

You are int0 a labor intensive project if you only plan to use sanding paper...For years I have used a 3450 RPM one horse water pump electric motor with a mandrel adapter attached to the electric motor shaft with a 1/2 inch threaded shaft to mount two 8 inch buffing wheels. My best luck has been with stainless steel buffing compound for aluminum. The buffer can be dangerous to a novice but with a little practice a homemade buffer can be put to useful service for buffing metal. Small buffing wheels attached to a hand held air tools would be a good way to approach buffing as a beginner or to polish smaller areas. The buffing wheel always rotates away from you and you make metal to buffing wheel contact on the lower half of the buffing wheel. Sharp work piece edges tend to catch on the buffing wheel causing the work piece to be ripped from your grip with startling consequences.

Guest JAMIE T

Either you don't ever drive your car, or you enjoy polishing it every month. keeping polished aluminum "polished" is ALOT of work. Your valve covers look great though.

rb262.jpg

This is the way I do it! Powdercoating!