HybridZ

Finally Dyno'd it!

cygnusx1

Thanks to the ZCCA Convention, Giles and his wife of http://www.holyrollerdyno.com I was able to finally quantify what my butt dyno has been telling me. I filled out the prediction sheet prior to testing and I guessed 250HP and 300ft-lbs at the wheels. First pull brought some ping so I fattened the mix with the FMU. The second pull brought lots of Black smoke and low power so I leaned it a bit. The third pull gave an AF curve that started out marginallly rich and ended on the limit of lean around 5300rpm. It produced 258HP and nearly 300ft-lbs on 14psi boost. I was pleased considering it's stock '83 FI, electronics, internals, and 110,000 miles. Yehaww I made it to ZCCA, hot lapped Watkins Glen, and made it home with not a glitch. There were some AWESOME machines at the ZCCA but that's for another post......with pics and vids.... :)

Guest bastaad525

Cygnus - This has been coming for a LONG time.... I TOLD YOU SO!!!

:D:P

If you remember, ages ago when we were back-and-forthing about the BEGI RRFPR and how we each had it set up, and I told you you HAD to be running lean, since you were running less fuel pressure than me, at more boost, on a better turbo!!! Now you know :D And now WE know.

As I have been saying a lot lately (starting to feel bad because of it), those numbers sound kinda low for 14psi on that turbo. What kind of dyno was it? If that was on a dynojet I'm shocked... that's almost the exact same power I was making at 14psi on the stock T3 (there I go comparing dynos to dynos again).

That really does say a lot though that you can make it belch black smoke with that RRFPR even with that much boost + bigger turbo... it really is a sweet little part, whether some people consider it a 'band-aid' or not, fact is it can really supply a LOT more fuel with just the stock injectors.

About the shape of the fuel curve... you know, to this day I have never tried those different sized discs that Trey from over at BEGI sent me. I've still got a W/B O2 sensor setup on my wish list, maybe THIS Xmas I'll finally get it, if I don't end up asking for an Xbox 360 instead (so far it doesnt' look that interesting anyways).

Anyways, post scans of the sheet if you can! I'm very interested to see how your power/torque curves look.

EDIT: I read up at their website, so they use a Dynapack, that's cool, Dynapacks DO tend to read lower than Dynojets, I'd figure 258rwhp on a 'Pack to be worth maybe 280ish on a 'Jet? Also when I dyno'd on a 'Pack the torque showed WAY lower vs. the 'Jet, with different curve.

Dynojet

233rwhp 303ftlbs

Dynapack

226rwhp 246ftlbs

Same car, same setup, different days and places. So maybe your torque would be WAY up there? Ah well, that's a lot of power, either way :D Long live that FMU!

I have the HP/T curves sheet but I am waiting for holyrollerdyno to post my results on their site. It should also include the AF curve as well in a downloadable format.

Did anyone else Dyno at ZCCA? What were the results compared to what you expected or from other dynos?

Incedentally, many people suggested that I turn the boost down for the track event so I put it at about 12psi from 14. The car ran poorly at 12psi. It bogged a bit and missed a bit I guess because the BEGI is not a perfect fuel compensation device and did not manage the change in boost very well. I set it back to 14psi on the last track session and it woke up again. Sorry for the puffs of black smoke out there on the track...

I remember the LS1 car bolted to the packs. I think he was 317hp and 361? ft/lb of torque. I really wanted to get my car on there but was afraid because of some driveline noises I'd been hearing. Wound up swapping out the diff in the hotel parking lot so I could run at the Glen.

Joe

Guest bastaad525

my dynapack plot looked a lot like that... it's weird.. on dynojets, the torque is nearly tabletop flat from 3000 to 4000rpm. But on the dynapack, there's this little peak at like 3000, then a bit of a dip before it starts it's 'main climb' on to a peak torque at like 4500rpm.

Very impressive numbers for your ZX. Congrats. Sorry I missed your run.

I was there too and had my LS1 240Z dyno'd. I had predicted 300 HP and 325 Torque so I was very happy with the results.

317RWHP

365RWTorque

and a super flat torque curve.

Z_Convention_021.jpg

Wow, all those rumors about low end torque from V8's is true!! lol. That is ALOT of area under the curve. It must fly!

Bast, I wonder if that little dip in the power curves is when the EFI maxes out the AFM and goes into open loop operation....hmmm amazing that we have an EFI system that has been around so long yet nobody seems to know the finer details of it's operation.

Guest bastaad525

Bast' date=' I wonder if that little dip in the power curves is when the EFI maxes out the AFM and goes into open loop operation....hmmm amazing that we have an EFI system that has been around so long yet nobody seems to know the finer details of it's operation.[/quote']

Actually, I think the dip is just do to the fact that the stock EFI likes to throw a LOT of extra fuel at the motor at WOT between 3000-4000rpm.

But anyways, as I said, on my dynojet graphis, the torque is MUCH more flat and actually peaks at 3000rpm, and stays almost even until between 4000-4500.