HybridZ

Wee! Bought a stupid new toy

auxilary

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is considered by most to be a piece of junk. It is a 9mm carbine that uses the Beretta mags. It isn't good for much and according to reviews, the things that it should be good for, it does a mediocre job. Hi-point sells a junky carbine which is similar for about 1/3 of the price. If that is what you want, there are better choices.

The thing I like about the FN P90 is that it is a fast, armor piercing round that does not overpenetrate. It holds 50 rounds and ejects downward. Important for a lefty. It is very pricey though.

A 12ga pump shotgun is the best home protection. The sound of a 12ga pump chambering a shell is the most recognized sound in the world. Anyone who hears it knows what it is and that it means business. If you are forced to fire it won't go through the wall and hurt somebody unintended. It's also a lot harder to miss someone with a shotgun.

- Joe

Well, a hunter I guided a couple of years ago, Ray Fritz, gave me a Weatherby Mark v fibermark in .30-.378 mag with a 4-15 Baucsh and Lomb 50mm obj, 1 inch tube scope and rings, dies, brass, bullets, etc. Gun wouldn't shoot 3 shots into 6 inches at 100 yards. He missed 2 bull elk on his trip with the farthest one being about 400 yards and the closest one about 300 yards. I loaned him my custom remington 700 in 6.5x300 Wby Mag with a 30 inch hart barrel and a 6.5x20 Leupold scope, HS precision stock and Jewel 2 oz trigger. He dropped the second bull with one shot.

I cleaned the new weatherby electronically and played with it only to discover that the muzzle brake was not fitted correctly to the barrel and after I took it off I couldn't stand the recoil. That sucker takes 120 grains of powder per shell!!!! Further investigation with a bore scope revealed that the barrel was less than perfect with chatter marks from the drilling operation of barrel making.

So, I ordered a 30 inch Hart barrel in SS today that is 1.250 at the breech, continues at that dia for 6 inches and then has a straight taper to .950 at the muzzle. Also ordered a minimum SAAMI standard chambering reamer and set of gauges. So, off with the old barrel and on with the new along with a custom muzzle brake and pillar bedding along with about 10lbs of birdshot epoxied into the butt of the hollow fiberglass stock that it has on it.

I've got one of those MK1 .303's, it shoots real nice. Killed a deer with an SKS just so I could say I did it.

The .30-378 is huge IIRC. Almost looks ridiculous, like a BB loaded into the end of a milk bottle. What kind of muzzle brake are you going to use for it? I've shot an Armalite AR-50, and the muzzle brake on it was extremely effective. It was like shooting a 308 with slow burning powder, just a long gentle shove. Anyone standing to either side when that thing goes off will tell you a different story though. :)I've been toying around with the idea of getting one of the new Remington Ultra Mag rifles to build a long range boomstick out of. Something like the Dakota T-76 Longbow http://www.geocities.com/landofsnipers/weapons/t76dakota.htm If I ever get around to it, I'll most likely end up fabricating a brake based on the Armalite design.

Well, it's custom made by H.F. Combs, he's my gunsmith of choice, has built all my guns. It is round like the barrel, has an expansion chamber and three long oval slots at 120 degree phasing, with one indexed straight up. The business end has a hole that is .010 larger than the bullet dia so the bullet seals the hole and the gasses escape through the milled slots. The slots are rather large, in fact the brake is rather large, but it works awesome. Kind of patterned after the soviet tank brake's. I'll take a picture of one on my mag and post that in my album to give you an idea. $175 installed and they come in stainless or blued and he doesn't cut off the end of the barrel, just threads it nice and close tolerance with zero runout.

This may be off topic slightly...but do any of you guys play Day of Defeat? It is a great, simple, $19 PC game based on WW2 weapons. I play it online and have grown to love some of the Axis and Allies guns and rifles. I don't have any guns but after playing DOD, I want a few of them. Most of the weapons you are discussing are in the game and are modeled very well.

Damn! It looked like that when you got it? It almost looks unissued. Nice purchase. My enfield should be in next week, 10 days after that I get to take it home and start the all weekend long process of scrubbing off cosmoline. Come to think of it, I've probably spent more time scrubbing all my enfields than actually shooting them.....

Mike