HybridZ

rb26dett alternater wiring

slowspeed

Will i did a seach throughout the hybridz forum and found nothing about wiring up the rb alternater. Let me start all over,I'm working on rb26dett swap into 1973 240z.Just finish the swap couple days ago and went to start it, the battery was weak so I hooked up a battery booster and start right up. But when I disconnet the battery booster the the car just die.The car wont start without the batttery booster.I check the voltage on the battery 12 volt.The voltage regulater is disconneted, not being use. I seems like the alternater is not charging the battery. This is what i did, On the rb alternater there is two wires WHITE/BLUE and WHITE/RED.I conneted the 240z alternater wire WHITE/BLACK to rb26 WHITE/BLUE and rb26 wire WHITE/RED and 240z wire solid YELLOW. Do i have to do something to the voltage regulator? Any ideas.

Your wiring sounds correct. I'm not 100% sure of the colors, as I verify the wire at the time of the swap by a trace (I put RB's into several different cars, not just old Z's). If you have the voltage regulator in the car and the large power wire coming off of the alternator is going to it, the regulator needs to be removed. Check to see that the small RB wires in the coupler are reading battery voltage, and the large wire is reading battery voltage. It's not uncommon to get an RB26 alternator with bad brushes or a bad IC.

I remove the rb26 alternater and found a connetion/picture on the alternater. "S" + white/red wire and "L" - white/blue. On the 240z alternater wire the soild yellow is ignition voltage.I trace the white/black and found that it goes to the voltage regulater box, now remove.White/black goes no where now. What do i conneted it to? On the rb connetion say "L"- is ground, do i ground the black/white wire?????? I've read somewhere one of the two wires goes to the charging light and makes a loop. Is that right????? If so how??? Corrert me if I'm wrong. What to connet to the black/white???? I'm in a stand still..

On the RB alternator, S goes to the battery (yellow on the Z harness), or can also take voltage off of the large charge wire going to the battery. It's better to run it to the battery. The other wire coming out of the coupler is L, I believe. This wire goes to the charge light in your dash. 12v is supplied to the bulb from the ignition switch. You can hook this wire to 12v switched, if you choose not to run a light (not necessary, but better). There is also a ground wire going to the alternator case that comes out of the stock RB harness. It's a large black wire with a loop connection on the end. It bolts to the small tapped boss on the back of the alternator. The large charging post gets a large wire to the battery. If everything is hooked up like this, the system should be operational. If it's not, you probably have an alternator problem. Good luck.

• 7 months later...

:D At last...my RB20DET is siting in my 71Z...check it out below! HOW SWEET it is!

Now Im trying to hook up the electrical. Please bare with me as Im electricaly challenged and I will probably ask some basic questions.

First...Am I correct in saying that the alternator and starter have nothing to do with the ECU harness and that these can be wired directly into the 240 harness...

Starter...straight forward as near as I can tell.....just wire up like the the original. Correct?

Alternator: The stock 240 alternator is externaly regulated while the RB20 is internal...

The RB has a:

- heavy black wire that goes to the battery to which the underhood fuse box originally attaches to. This the battery charging wire...correct??

- thick white/blue wire

-plug with a smaller white/blue and a white/red wire

-ground wire

The Z has a :

-Thick white/red

-plug with a yellow and a white/black wire

-ground

The charge wire...incorporate it into the harness

The ground is self explanitory.

Connector...run the yellow wire to the charge wire..?

....run the white/black to a volt meter...confirms if the alt. is charging...(I will replace the 240Z amp gauge for a 280Z volt gauge)

The thick white/blue and white/red interchange

THe oil pressure sensor on the RB is two wire...the z has a one wire. What can I do to make this work. Just change to a one wire sensore or can I make the the two wire sensor iwork in the z harness.?

thanx

jerry

up north and 240Z 048_thumb.jpg

up north and 240Z 046_thumb.jpg

:D At last...my RB20DET is siting in my 71Z...check it out

THe oil pressure sensor on the RB is two wire...the z has a one wire. What can I do to make this work. Just change to a one wire sensore or can I make the the two wire sensor iwork in the z harness.?

thanx

jerry

well, If you want to be cheap like me and dont mind using the stock oil press gauge, unscrew the press. sender from your L series engine and bolt it up to your RB. It has the same exact thread.

Done deal.

as fas as your other questions about wiring, i'd be glad to help, but be more specific on what your trying to do.

Im cheap too, so thats what Ill do!

As far as what Im trying to do is clean up the harness and get the alternator wired in. I pretty sure I understand now. I have removed all the wiring for the regulator and will wire in the alternator as it was in the Skyline.

THen I want to remove the amp gauge and replace it with a voltmeter...I think it will be more helpful as far as the info it gives.

One thing Im not sure what to do with is the wires that went to the ignition resistor and coil. Can I use these for anything?

First things first...I want to be able to turn over the engine and see if the alternator is doing anything.

After that I will be hooking up the RB engine harness. Little clue were to start with that one!!! I guess I need to send power to the ECU. It also looks like there are a few accessory harnesses that I may want to remove but Im not sure yet what is what.....and perhaps a few thing to add...fuses!

I created this spreadsheet ......it should help.... ( how do I post an excel file?).....Its a pin placement vs wire colour chart.