HybridZ

Thinkin about a motorcycle, any advice?

Sparks280zt

I have owned most bikes. If you really want a crotch rocket in your price range, I would recommend an early 90's Katana. If not, the FJ series from Yamaha from the 80's is wonderful. It is a sport tourer. Comes in a FJ1200. It is a great bike that is supposed to go 40,000 miles b/w tune ups. There are also a lot of 80's standards with crotch rocket engines out there. Like the Yamaha Fazer and Kawasaki Ltd. There was also the Kawasaki Eliminator. The Honda's are great too. Little maintenance. I quit riding two years ago when I put my Fatboy in a ditch. My doctor said not to get hit in the head anymore after he put in the titanium plate.

I am sure you hear that all the time, but it is applicable in this case. A 600 crotch rocket is going to be just as dangerous as a 1200 sport tourer. Probably more so since the crotch rockets beg to be driven stupidly. I have ridden for 15 years and what finally got me down was a Harley which as we all know have very little power. It is the rider not the size of the bike. A little bigger bike may get a little more respect than some toy.

moridin: i mentioned the sv650!

sparks: 600 will be more than enough for you. The SV650 will also work because it's a v-twin, makes a little less hp than most 4 banger crotch rockets (65 crank) and will be comfortable and carve corners. Don't get anything like an r6 with 120+hp. I'd say honda cbr600 f2/f3, yzf600r, zx6e/r (not rr) will be fine for you.

240z2nv: i agree with you... for a notice rider 1200 is a lot, be it a tourer or a crotchrocket.

Didn't mean to link to the 1000. I agree that there's no need for a 1000 if it's just local commuting and especially if it's a beginner rider. Personally, my wife and I like to ride, and although I'm leaning towards the 650, it's a little underpowered for normal, responsible 2 up riding. I commute a little farther than normal and do a good bit of touring, so the bigger bike may be the way to go.

Two big nuggets of wisdom that have already been said were the motorcycle safety class. It helped my wife get over some of her concerns when she actually went through it with me. Taught her some of the basics of control, etc. Also, buy top rated gear! You don't always have to break the bank to do it. There are several websites out there that offer closeout gloves, helmets, armored jackets and pants that were top of the line last year. My gear set up cost me more along the lines of 1200-1300 and I didn't skimp on quality.

Anywho....just some late nite thoughts...

Bryan

Dat240zg