HybridZ

Weird hissing under driver's dash

Guest jjohart

Guest jjohart

Hi,

sorry to be posting before I even pull the driver side kick panel under the dash (with the footwell light), but I had a long trip home last night and I found there is a weird hissing noise whenever the car is started. I don't know how long it's been doing it, but since I usually keep the T tops (83zxt) down, it's probably not a brand new issue.

I actually thought it was tape hiss, but turning the radio on and off doesn't do anything. I thought it might be some sort of hose or valve that lets in a minimal amount of air...does that exist? The sound is EXACTLY like cassette tape hiss, but I don't feel any air being moved around down there.

Is there any hose or component that could be responsible for this sound? Sorry for the vagueness!

John

Guest jjohart

Can anyone post a pic or diagram of the area under the driver's footwell panel, where I should look for a "loose vacuum hose, etc". I mean, I am hoping I might find it simply by my ear, but I've seen some drawings of the under dash HVAC hoses, etc, and they look like spaghetti to me. My left and right a/c vents (the adjustable vented ones) have never worked, nor have the square dual upper outlets (above the heat/ac controls), so I've made due w. just the center adjustable outlets for A/C, and the footwell heating, which works ok. I've yet to find a mechanic willing to pull the dashboard top, as they universally tell me it'll crack!

This hissing sound happens whether the heat or a/c is on or not, btw!

Thanks

Can anyone post a pic or diagram of the area under the driver's footwell panel' date=' where I should look for a "loose vacuum hose, etc". I mean, I am hoping I might find it simply by my ear, but I've seen some drawings of the under dash HVAC hoses, etc, and they look like spaghetti to me. My left and right a/c vents (the adjustable vented ones) have never worked, nor have the square dual upper outlets (above the heat/ac controls), so I've made due w. just the center adjustable outlets for A/C, and the footwell heating, which works ok. I've yet to find a mechanic willing to pull the dashboard top, as they universally tell me it'll crack!

This hissing sound happens whether the heat or a/c is on or not, btw!

Thanks[/quote']

I don't mean to be a jerk, espically since I'm a noob on this site, but did you check google or search the site?

Guest tony78_280z
I don't mean to be a jerk, espically since I'm a noob on this site, but did you check google or search the site?
Or your haynes manual? This is one of those problems that you just gotta get under there and find the noise and fix it.

check you heater hoses too.

I had a Z31 that was making a funny hissing noise, i ignored it and a week later the heater hose blew off the heater core while driving, steam and coolant everywhere.

Mustnt have been hissing rather a high pressure stream of coolant leaking past.

Didnt notice wet carpets but i suppose it was a low volume stream and might have been in an inconspicuous direction.

Guest jjohart

Aye, yi, yi!

Thanks for all the help. I mushed my fender on the carport beam last weekend, so I'll have this looked at while the car's in the body shop/repair joint.

John

The common problem I have been seeing is not hoses that are off or knocked free, but ROTTED. They LOOK good, but when you start testingthem, they are all porous, or have cracks down the side.

This is a major problem when you have the auto-climate control system.

Like others have said, is you heater working correctly? If so, then it may be an actuator leaking. If not, chances are it's hoses.

They are of the age where they start causing problems (at least in Ozone-Ridden SoCal!) so when I go under there, it's with a roll of tubing and a razor knife----and I just start replacingthe hoses wholesale.

Some people got offended when I refused to help on their car---I mean, it's got to be WORTH the effort, right? LOL

Good Luck. Let us all know what you find!

Guest tony78_280z
I mean' date=' it's got to be WORTH the effort, right? LOL

QUOTE']:iagree: :iagree:

Hey TonyD, I don't see you much here. Aint you more of a Zcar.com kind-a guy? :)

You must be brilliant though, I can tell by your name. So your insight is always welcome.