HybridZ

Done with the rotisserie (pics)

Zerrari GTO

Do you have any pics of your Rotisserie? I’m considering building one for project FUZZY.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=105319 shows the mounts, and that was the "hard" part of making it. I basically used the extra tubing from the 3rd engine stand and some 1x1x.120 for the diagonal braces, and some 1.5x1.5x.134 for the rear mount. The rear mount was SUPER easy for a 240. I took a little 4 or 5" section of the 1.5" square tube and drilled it to fit the bumper holes, then bolted them up to the body. Then I took a longer piece of the 1.5" square and welded it to the little sections that I had bolted to the body. Then I welded that to the rotating part of the engine stand.

I don't know that I have any other pics of the car on the rotisserie other than these kinda fuzzy ones:

DSCN0555.JPG

DSCN0553.JPG

If I had a flat garage floor I would have welded a tube between the front and the rear stands. As it is my garage floor slopes and is very rough, so each stand kinda "floats". At some points in the rotation the smaller wheels on the engine stand are off the ground. That freaked me out at first, but now I believe it is still relatively safe. After all there are two stands and each is good for 1000 lbs and they're carrying probably 600 lbs worth of shell between the two of them. Wider outriggers would make sense if your kids are going to use it like a jungle gym...

When I first put it on it had fenders, full suspension, glass, interior, etc in it and it was really hard to spin, now that it's relatively stripped down it's a lot easier. When I put the rear struts on to work on the rear control arms, I can DEFINITELY feel the difference when it comes time to spin it around. Still I can pretty easily manage it by myself.

Scariest part of the whole deal was putting the car on the rotisserie in the first place. I'm not looking forward to taking it back off either...

Would it be useful to weld a, let's say 6" pieces of tubing to the rotating assembly and build the part bolted to the car out of smaller diam. tubing so the stands can rotate a bit in relation to the chassis when going over rough surfaces?

I'll need to pull the damn thing outside to soda blast the car.

Hmm... I thought I responded to this earlier, it must not have gone thru. I would suggest that if you want to roll it over anything other than a super smooth surface you put pneumatic tires on the thing. I would also suggest that you soda blast it BEFORE you put it on the rotisserie. You can get the vast majority of the stuff, then cleanup the rest with a wire wheel, propane torch, chemicals, etc.

Hmm... I thought I responded to this earlier, it must not have gone thru. I would suggest that if you want to roll it over anything other than a super smooth surface you put pneumatic tires on the thing. I would also suggest that you soda blast it BEFORE you put it on the rotisserie. You can get the vast majority of the stuff, then cleanup the rest with a wire wheel, propane torch, chemicals, etc.

Pneumatic tires hun? I tought of that but, was wondering if anyone makes pneumatic swivel casters?

As for the sodablasting, I will blast it before but, I tought of putting it on the rotisserie to blast the bottom of the car instead of lying underneath and choke on backing soda.

P.S.: those two words that I underlined, are they spelled correctly?

Lying yes, underneith = underneath

Also, tought as in tought I taw a putty tat? Or Thought? puting = putting

If you're gonna ask for corrections I figured I should cover them all. Not trying to be a prick or anal about anything.

Don't worry, I'm asking cause I'm a french speaking Canadian and I just want to perfect my spelling so you guys can understand what I say.

Thanks and anybody else who see's orthograph or grammar errors feel free to point it out. I'll apreciate it. Just don't expect me to learn them all the first time but, I have my little dictionary with me and doing the best I can.

Swivell should be swivel, since you're asking for spelling errors.

If you can jack the thing up, you probably don't need to get flat on your back to blast it underneath. What's more the several hours of uncomfortable work will be much cheaper than rigging up the relatively expensive pneumatic casters, but they do exist.

John Coffey has some huge ones on his "pig winder" http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=117584 :wink:

I do not know what is available in Canada but www.harborfreight.com has the swivel caster pneumatic wheels so I am sure some Industrial or Agricultural supply there will also.

we have a store here called "princess auto" that is much like the harbour freight of Canada.

super-homo name, but for general items, they have some good deals.

I bought 4 pistol grip wire stripers/cutters for 99 cents a piece, and I bought a quick disconnect battery terminal for 4 bucks.

and some other various things. They have the best price on castors too, as we bought about 12 of them in the 4 inch size for a mobile spray booth that we made (this fugger is huge), and it came out to about 32 bucks, CDN funds... so it's a good place to get some items that you would regularily find at home hardware or canadian tire, when you don't need the most bad ass parts, and will settle for something general, and not top grade.

who the hell needs top grade castors on a temp spray booth, know what i mean?

• 1 year later...
Guest paulzahra

Can anyone give me some plans or sketches on how can i build a simple car rotator since i decided to build one as my school project for our old alfa romeo thanks. i would appreciate if anybody sends some info thanks very much

• 2 weeks later...

this is the best pic i could find of my racecar playing nap time. i just took a square tube and fit them into the frame rails, they stayed put nicely. i used a jack all to get it up and down from the mounts. mine is also height adjustable via pins that are drilled thru the main mast.

IMG_0452.jpg

the car after some por15 and lots of undercoat removal

016.jpg