HybridZ

Can I fill the tranny through the speed sensor hole?

violacleff

I just use a piece of plastic tubing and a funnel.

Install the drain plug

Run the tube (about 4 feet) thru the rear fender well down to the fill whole in the diff

Pour in the first quart and just measure the amount needed from the second quart

Install fill plug

It takes a few minutes but it’s clean

Works for the tranny also

Use the reverse signal plug hole. It's 1/2" below the tranny filler hole, so if you jack up that side of the car where the hole points out of by about 3" higher than the left, you can get a good fill with appropriate amount of tranny fluid.

I had to do that with the 5 speed I got (albeit that 5th gear would never stay in gear, so that was a pointless purchase, and I felt ripped off). The drain filler plug wouldn't budge under anything... 4 foot breaker bar, impact gun, etc

Dangit! I was going to do the reverse light, since I broke the wires anyway, but something didn't seem right about it! Anyway, my somoan z brother around the corner came over and got it right off! I took the drain plug off my last tranny and installed it as a fill plug for this one. In the future I can use a 1/2 in breaker instead of a 17 wrench. BTW I got her running again last night.

You could also remove the shifter and fill the transmission from the top in a very comfortable manner. Take note of the capacity of the unit from the Nissan manual and do not over fill. You could also go to a quick lube 10 minute oil change location and let them be the one having to take the oil fill plug off and fill up. It is probably the simplest and probably not too expensive.

Good luck.

KC

Dangit! I was going to do the reverse light, since I broke the wires anyway, but something didn't seem right about it! Anyway, my somoan z brother around the corner came over and got it right off! I took the drain plug off my last tranny and installed it as a fill plug for this one. In the future I can use a 1/2 in breaker instead of a 17 wrench. BTW I got her running again last night.

Another little trick which is too late to help you but might help someone else is to use a 19mm 12 point socket on the square plug. Fits right on then you can use a breaker bar or long ratchet on that or even just double wrench it.

Another little trick which is too late to help you but might help someone else is to use a 19mm 12 point socket on the square plug. Fits right on then you can use a breaker bar or long ratchet on that or even just double wrench it.

Mine wouldn't budge either way> I wound up completely rounding off the plug edges. (fill plug). I had to fill it through the reverse light

Wrench made by Hazet

Has 4374 stamped on it

14mm / 17mm 8 point socket ends

Both ends rotate

I purchased this years ago off a tool truck

It works great for the drain plugs

Wrench-02.JPG

That would be nicer if it were 6 feet longer.

I had to take the transmission out of the car to remove mine. I brought it down to the shop and after whacking at it with an air hammer, then a chisel, the guy finally found a 6ft or so bar that he had to hang on to break it loose.

Clearly I need a lift in my garage....

Why, oh why, is that fill plug such a bitch?