HybridZ

S12 200SX Turbo?

Guest Battle Pope

Guest Battle Pope

Anyone have any experience with these? I'm looking for a new daily driver. My driving habits include roughly 40 miles per day total, with about 80-85% of it on the highway. According to the EPA, the car is supposed to get 27ish highway on regular gas, which is acceptable.

I haven't really looked at this particular example too much, but the body is straight and clean, no idea on interior, no idea on mileage. I know it's a Turbo because it has the faux hood scoop and turbo badge.

What I need to know is: Exactly how reliable is the US version of this car? I know it comes with the CA18ET (sohc turbo 1.8). What are the common problems of this model? Someone told me they have a tendency toward warping the brake rotors... Anything I should look for? If something should happen to fail, how expensive are parts?

I probably won't look too far into it if the mileage is really high (150k+), but the car looks basically unmolested except for the cheap looking foglights. It's even still got the factory wheels!

Any insight would be great - I think a few of you own them, or have owned them.

I owned the CA20E version of the S12. It wasnt a bad car at all. I had it for a little over 6 months. The rear suspension is the same as a Z31, the front is almost the same as the Z31.

http://www.club-S12.org is the site to hang out on if youve got one, or are looking at them.

Mine had roughly 200k on it, I did replace the brake rotors, and went to hell on the new ones with no warping problems. The car had good snow manners, I have a feeling with a good set of tires it would be quite good in the snow (not that you have to deal with that, just saying) It was slow as hell, I assume the turbo or V6 version might be acceptable.

Im sorta looking for one, if you decide not to get the one you are looking at I might be interested in the contact info.

have alittle insite on them.

me and a buddy put a SR20DET in one..

everybody was like "custom mounts this and custom this and blah blah blah".

use the silvia motor mounts and its direct bolt in.

but there cool cars, its liek a old Z... shares so many parts with other nissans.

i heard about the rotor issue but i have no hands on, on that.

i do like the cars and i have been looking at a few on ebay.. but to drop a L28ET in...

still looking for my perfect sleeper car, i just really dont want to use a Z for this idea.

mike

I had an 85 non turbo and I LOVED that car. I don't know what the engine # was, but it was the twin spark plug 4 cyl motor. (???) I thought it was pretty quick for what it was... kinda felt like a 280zx Well manered and very reliable. I did have some isues with the rear dick brakes.. chewed through pads as fast (or faster..) then the front, and warped a couple rotors.. mind you I let the rear pads get so low once the rivets scraped them a bit so I assume I screwed the calipers there (pistons came out too far, scored and stuck after that) But all in all it was a great car, and took quite a beating for the 2.5 years I owned it. Not bad considering I picked it up for $500 and hardly did any major work to it!

Friend of mine had the turbo and it was a POS. Not sure if it was just his or indicative of the breed, but he had several turbos go out. He also installed a CFDF clutch which wiped out the thrust bearings in the engine so it had to be rebuilt. Based on his experience I wouldn't buy one.

Guest Battle Pope
Friend of mine had the turbo and it was a POS. Not sure if it was just his or indicative of the breed, but he had several turbos go out. He also installed a CFDF clutch which wiped out the thrust bearings in the engine so it had to be rebuilt. Based on his experience I wouldn't buy one.

I've heard everything from POS to pretty good. I think it's one of those cars that there are just some that end up being lemons.

Guest Battle Pope

I'm looking at one because it would be a daily driver, and it's available. I don't want to go through the effort of locating and/or purchasing a specific version of the car because all it will be to me is a daily driver. Nissans are chronically more expensive to maintain than Hondas anyway.