HybridZ

Cheapest cars to make fast? (sorta-poll)

Guest bastaad525

I own a 2001 sentra s.e. with the sr20 so i go to some od those forums too.

No problems with those guy yet,Maybe cause i don't post much in there.Hybridz its the best site ever!

How close are you from downey?

I go there often,Have lots of family member down there.So you might get to drive it or at least get a ride in it.I got a ride in LS1Z's car and i think i won;t ever forget.It runs Very nice.

We have a festiva with the b6 swap, its from a mazda 323.It should go high 15's or low 16's on the 1/4 mile.Iknow its not fast but it does beat any civic with exhaust and filter.They run 19's stock so its very fun.and you are getting same gas milage.I will get around 35 to 38 depending on my driving behavier.With the swap i'm doing,Not bad at all.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bastaad525

I dunno, probably between 30 mins to 1 hour from downey. Haven't been there in ages. I"m about 20 miles north of downtown L.A.

yeah I'd like to see it some time... my wife would even love to see it, she drove a festiva for a while, looked just like yours, white with the little red trim.

I dunno' date=' probably between 30 mins to 1 hour from downey. Haven't been there in ages. I"m about 20 miles north of downtown L.A.

yeah I'd like to see it some time... my wife would even love to see it, she drove a festiva for a while, looked just like yours, white with the little red trim.[/quote']

I should be there,I'll say in less than 6 month's.Should be sooner but i'm really busy now so i don't know for sure.I'll get your phone number when i go down there your like 40 miles away from downey.I'm sure we could figure something out.This car was my cousin's wife for 10 years.

Guest bastaad525
I haven't seen anything about the GM turbo V6 cars.

I would add to the list:

Buick T-Type/GN/GNX

Cyclone and Typhoon

As far as I know' date=' it doesn't take much to really make those machines move. Especially the AWD Cyclone and Typhoon.[/quote']

because those cars generally cannot be had for cheap :D Especially not for a couple grand unless somethings wrong with them.

CRX H22 swap not really gonna be cheap either, that's a lot of custom work right there as opposed to just doing a B18. Anyways now K series engines are all the rage for honda swaps.

An old Toyota p/u with a turbo would be sweet... can we say light truckbed rear end = no traction? And a super light vehicle overall... that would be very sweet. Is there a certain engine you would look for in particular for turbocharging?

I've often thought of turbocharging the tercel coupe.

There was a 22RET in 87-89 years IIRC. I seem to recall that the stock 22RE was rated @ 115hp or so, and the turbo was 150. Came with a tiny turbo (T25???), but a friend of mine put a bigger T3/T4 turbo on his, ported the head and installed an IC and he now tows his 510 race car with it. I don't remember what engine management system he's running, but I do recall that he did have some trouble getting enough fuel to it at first.

He did it for a tow vehicle, but I don't see why you couldn't use the same engine and mods for speed in a 2wd truck. BTW if you do go that way I've got some tricks to get the back end to hook up... my Toy truck was the first vehicle I autoxed :)

Speaking of truck's,I have in my mind a cool swap,At least i think it would be cool.I think i'm going to do it sometime in life.

Datsun 620 -Regular or king cab (not much of a diference in weight.I would like the king cab to go with a small sound system.

Engine:SR20DET.With all the bolt ons.

The only thing that worries me is the suspencion,But i think we could use 280z or othe datsun parts right?

I love those little truck's ever since i was a kid!

Guest bastaad525

Yeah especially fourth gen RX-7's... that is by no means a cheap car to buy, own, or make fast.

About the H22 civic swap, I'm very surprised someone pulled it off for that cheap. And yeah an H22 CRX would be pretty darn fast :D and a lot of fun.

22R Toyota engine frickin rocks, I put one of those into an old '70's Celica I had when I was like 17, the little ones that looked (to me) like miniature '70's Mustangs (right down to the choice of notch or fast backs). That was a quick little car and that engine only cost me like $200.

I'd have to say something like a 1968 Fiat 850 Idromatic. HAHAHAHAHA! I couldn't help but laugh. Those things are so slow. Seriously, you know your car is slow when the 1/4 mile is faster than the 0-60.

0-60 - 25.5

1/4 mile - 23.3

It would probably cost a fortune just to get that thing into low 20's.

VW is an option...

There were three guys I used to autox with who had Meyer's Manxes. Two were consistently faster than me, the other guy was slower. They ran used slicks. They all had built motors, the most powerful was making 225 hp IIRC in a fiberglass Manx that weighed 1200 lbs with a full cage. Supposedly the fastest one ran 11's. The fastest guy told me he had a total of under $5K in his...

Guest bastaad525

Why would a Bug be expensive? I always thought those were another great car to make fast, because they are so common and easy to get cheap, and are so very very light. I'm not a big fan of Bugs myself but I have no doubt that they can be crazy fast.

About the rotary... yeah if you can rebuild it yourself then of course it's much cheaper because of the lack of parts and wear items. However, as stupid as it is, getting a rotary rebuilt by a shop will cost about DOUBLE what they'd charge to rebuild any piston engine. I almost bought a first gen RX7 about 7 years ago. The guy told me he know the seals on one of the rotors was fried. So I was calling around pricing a rebuild... cheapest I found was about $3000.

Cost me less than $1500 to fully rebuilt my last L28 N/A motor.

Old corolla is definately another good one, do they go back far enough to be pre-emissions? Then there's the Corona which I guess turned into the Corolla, my friend had a '70's Corona and that was a sweet looking little car. Too bad he ran it into the ground.

bugs get pricey when parts break... cuz they dont stay together very long when your going fast in a bug.

plus main parts that make the car go faster and faster get realllll pricey.

trannys cost money, etc etc etc.

i spent way to much on my bugs to even see the money ever again.

mike