HybridZ

Fixed rear went to the strip!!

Guest traub83

Ok well i took apart the r200 and it was shot, I went to my local junk yard and found a 78z with a r200 in it with 3.54 gears cause i got 3.5 turns to one tire rotation so thats what i felt it was. anyways i bought it and took it home, welded up the spider gears and slapped it in with new fluid and everything.. I did this yesterday also. Anyways its holding up fine so far, so my neighbor is like lets hit the strip in his camaro Z28 on nitorus so I was like hey ill follow ya in my Z. now I bolted on some BFG drag radials I bought for it and off we went. Well I love my car Ill just say!!! I love everything about it but I will be doing more rear end work later guarenteed cause I was scared of shelling it out but I still took it to the school of hard launches lol... I was lucky enough to get 2 passes out of my Z, first pass I got a 10.72@130mph, 2nd pass I got a 10.54@131mph I was cutting 1.4 60' times so I was really impressed with my car and I think with a lil tuning a set of full slicks and a real good launch I can hit a low 10 very easy.... I was launching at 2500 the first run and a 3000 the second run even tho my 60' marks were only a tenth of a second difference but my et was better my 2nd run and the MPH was about the same also.. While there I weighed in my car with me in it I was at 2898 pounds on a full tank of 94 sunoco fuel 12 gallons! Needless to say I was impressed with my car, the tech grabbed me after the 2nd run and told me next time I come I need to get a full inspection of my car and he wrote down my plate number and such to make sure I do it.. lol i dont have a cage :-) but I had a helmet and my windows are dark tinted so I donno why they didnt check me out during inspection lol cause i even said i donno what it would run cause i just built it. but yah next time I run I better have a cage and all those goodies installed. Bobby my neighbor ran 11 flats all night and took 3rd in the trophy runs. I didnt run cause i was scared of gettin kicked off the track lol.. anywho thought u guys would enjoy the story... PS the R200 held up fine this go round. so my first unit must have been a fluke, and my axles and cv's held up great and there still stock so I donno whats up with that!!!??

Congratulations on the fast, safe passes. Question for you. What kind of suspension are you running? Do you have adjustable struts or are you running stock suspension.

I have a much slower Z, It is powered by a sbc 385 that when it hooks up ok runs mid to low 11's naturally aspirated. Traction is an issue almost always as rarely can I get better that mid 1.70 60 ft.'s. I am running Arizona Z springs with Tokico hp struts/ 235/60-15 BFG drag radials.

The front doesn't lift at all and the rear if anything tries to squat but when it doesn't all it does is spin and I run 2.0 or worse for 60 ft. Just thought I would pick you drag racers brains.

Mike

LoL yah ya told me man.. Im going to still build up another rear prob still a r200 and beef up the halfshafts and such and also get a LSD for it.. But that is a winter project!

bro my suspension tokio shocks and springs non adjustable so pretty much stock.

Great runs!

I only get about 10 passes with the stock Z stuff and were running about the same times (10.6 at 135). Stub axles shearing, spider gear failures, u-joint breakage, ect. So, don't expect it to last long.

With power that, we both need a ford nine inch straight axle conversion and a full cage! Besides I'm tried of replacing broken stuff and feel lucky nothing ever broke at high speeds.

I can't go back to the track either without a cage. hahaha

I have to commend you guys - you're doing it the RIGHT way; build the engine, get the combo running, then worry about the cage etc. The alternative - to first build the cage, subframe connectors, and so forth - will inevitably run into finding rust, trying to excise the rust, ripping out the interior to create working space for welding (and to chase down more rust!), and parking the car for years.

yah my car is rust free!! when i fist got it it just got off a rotiserary and painted and i installed the new interrior myself so it was def rust free, I hope I can get away with a 4 point cage for the 10's?!!

yah darn rules!!! who needs a cage anyways :-P

Those are very fast times, congratulations.

When you decide to get a cage make sure it is certifiable to nine seconds because you are almost there. Believe me it gets old braking before the finish line so that you won't get kicked out. And the tech staff will remember you and prevent you from racing if you are not in compliance with safety rules. Good luck.

Hanns

I am with Hans.

- Do not get a cage just because of the darn track rules.

- Do not get the cheapest cage you can get away with.

Get a cage because at 130+ in a Z (basically a tin can) with stock suspension, you will not survive a mishap on the big end without one. At a minimum, get a 6-pt rollbar with all the mounting points on top of or tied into a frame rail or with the proper reinforcement under the floor.

Yup... And with a good fabrication shop, you can have quick turn around for a cage and frame rails. My 12 point took a total of 28 hours for the shop to do it. A drag certified cage would probably be in that range.

Go here to check out mine: http://photos.yahoo.com/dat74z and click on the "New Zcarpoject" Folder.

Mike

Congrats, The 200R is a tuff Beast.If you go to a NHRA track they may have a problem with the the stock halftshafts.The rule books states if you are fasyer then a 10.99 in the 1/4 you have to have a special trailing arm. Keep running stock stuff!!!!! Because anybody can go fast on a narrowed rearend, and it is Cool to do on stock stuff. Jerry from jnjdragracing.com

It is funny how these cars get faster and faster. I didn't intend on making a 10 second 130+ Zcar from the start of the project. It just kind of developed into one over the years with small improvements each time. I have been down the track a 100 times over a 3 year period while making small gains every time. Started out just running high 12's at 110 mph then it got out of hand. That is why I never got around to a roll cage or a straight axle. It is time to detune the engine or install a cage and a proper diff. At this point, detuning sounds much easier. I guess I'm getting too old. hahaha