HybridZ

What do you want in a High Performance shop?

Guest JAMIE T

Guest JAMIE T

A good friend and I are considering going into business building/working on high performance cars. At first it is NOT going to be my only job/source of income. I will remain at my current job until I can't afford to keep my current job(i.e. more side business than I can handle in off hours).

I am a welder/fabricator. I have an extensive high performance background. My buddy used to be a GM tech, who began working on high performance imports about a year ago. He has his own CRX with a B18b conversion. I of course have a 400hp 4th Gen F-body, and a few early Zcars.

We may be able to share a shop with a guy who does interior repair. He has a large shop, more space than he needs.

I may also be able to incorporate a Dynojet into the facility.

My end would be the custom fabrication of Turbo systems, roll cages, exhaust, brackets, mounts, cylinder head, and intake porting, etc, you name it. The only tools I will need to buy would be a steel cutting band saw and a TIG welder. I have EVERYTHING else to perform the above tasks.

My buddy has every tool(mechanic related) known to man. He is a good mechanic, and can take care of that type of work. Including engine swaps, tear downs, clutches, brake upgrades, etc... He also paints cars(pretty darn well I may add).

We work very well together, and feel strongly about making a profitable, and enjoyable business.

What do you guys think? What would I have to do, to get your business(if you were nearby)? What would attract you to our shop(other than a receptionist with huge, well you know)?

My turbo Zcar should be coming together by this summer. So, that will show my fabrication work. My Z28 is a good rolling display of my ability to port heads, and do quality installs. My buddy's CRX is very quick for what it is, and is like many cars of the current target market. His car still needs the paint done, but we plan on getting that done in the near future along with my '73.

Basically we want to have a broad customer base. We don't want to work on only imports, or only domestics. I feel like a good mechanic should be able to tackle any make that is placed in front of him, given a good service manual is available. Then again, that is misleading since I don't want to work on POS cars. I want to work on cars that the owners care about. Well, thats my situation. Tell me what you think.

I like a place where I have things to look at. Some examples of the fabricators work or products in stock. Not an empty shop with employees saying "we can order it for you", or "we can build it for you". Now I realize keeping lots of products in stock is a lot of overhead, but it's what I like to see. I also like friendly employees who aren't to pushy about selling things and will BS with you for a while. I'm also really impressed with a immaculately clean shop. I believe that in most cases, cleanliness is a reflection of the shops work and that most places underestimate it. A sofa and pool table would be neat as well :D

one of the reasons i went to the turbo platform is because that is basically whats very popular these days, small displacement engines with turbos strapped to them. but to my dismay-i didnt build a honda so i still get frowned on by the import market, except the ae86ers,who are down.

face it-YOU MUST WORK ON POS CARS , GOTTA EAT THATS THE BOTTOM LINE. at least until you get established and start doing more work for people serious about performance-but then a lot of those peopel do their own work too. i would love to be bolting on turbos, tuning efi, and making power in general-but nowadays a majority of the business coming in is pure rocketry. you gotta work on a lot of HONDAS, most of the kids who we know are into them. but those fubar jobs are what keeps me and the other youngsters who cant do extreme body work fed and smoking right? we get the lowering jobs, the headers, the intakes, fprs, basically-CRAP that we are amazed some people cant do themselves. The v8 guys all do their own work for the most part and dont come in for mechanical-they come for body work, and if we did extensive engine work we would get some business for that as well, but we dont do that much besides cam and heads over here, and the import guys come for bolt ons, and they bring the parts with them. if we didnt do a lot of body work, we would be hungry and sober, and that would be a sad sight indeed. This is just my point of view, from your background I am pretty sure you would have some good business setup from the start and hopefully that could propel you into bigger and better things, our thing over here is we make your car faster than the next man for less in no time flat, and have your car painted in no time better than most shops out there, and lightspeed times faster. Im just a part timer and work more for the knowledge and the fun of it hangin with some of my best friends learning from a guy we think is the smartest independent business man we have ever known. just my thoughts.

Jamie,

Prepare for a long answer.

First, I would love for you to do the project I mentioned before to you via e-mail. I am dead serious about it, and am ready to start it now,(I have the extra car and all the parts, and you know about the magazine coverage).

But on to your questions.

I have known many "performance" shops come and go. What keeps the good ones? First, usually a guy or two who really knows what they are doing. Second, steady, "normal" work to keep the bills paid. The cool projects like mine, while looking awesome and garnering a fair amount of attention, require a lot of man-hours and usually aren't as profitable as the quick in and out jobs. I'm sure you know this by now having worked in several shops.

You do have a few drag strips locally to you to showcase your work. I would suggest that. And look at where a large percentage of the money today is being spent. Honda's, DSM's, etc.. And I don't think a VQ effort in drag racing is the way to start out a shop.

Another reality of a successful "tuner" shop is that you have access and decent prices for the body kits, wings, wheels, etc.. While I am a huge fan of form over function, many of your potential market are not, they love the show.

Your single hardest obstacle is market acceptance/entry. By that I mean gaining your customer base where they are coming to you as soon as they get their paychecks for that "mad wing", or that new NOS setup for their Eclipse.

But I think if you follow what you set-out, you will be successful. However, it usually takes from 2-3 years to be profitable. Working it part-time might mean it could take longer.

I think the local Drags are a great way to get your name out there initially.

But good consistent advice and service will keep me coming back.

-Bob

Guest livewire23

Well, there is this shop down here called open-loop motorsports, and they are hidden way down in the middle of nowhere, but they do decent business. They mostly specialize in engine swaps of the four cylinder FWD variety, and they survive on word of mouth. Of course in order to pay the bills they have to do a certain amount of "wow-thats-a-big-muffler" work, but hey, thats what the market demands nowadays. The real money is from people who are clueless, and just want to be trendy. AKA the "I'll pay you, you do it" kind of people, as opposed to all of us, who just say, "it's alright, I can do it". So expect to be accepting a lot of those kinds of jobs just for the money. The upside is that they have a certain amount of people who know enough to know that a H22 2.2l engine would make their civic fast, but can't install it themselves. That's the stuff that really makes the rest worthwhile. They also do emiisions correction with their engine swap, which is something a lot of other shops around here don't offer. Something to set yourself apart will do wonders for your business. Good luck, I wish I was in VA so I could help out...

-Kito

Guest JAMIE T

Mike, YES. Management is key. I know what made Rosen close. Lack of leadership. I am good at motivating people. My wife was a business management major in collage. So, she will definately be a help. I bought a book called "The One Minute Manager". It is a useful tool for anyone needing to manage people. Since it is really just me and my freind, we aren't worried about uniforms, etc... Like I stated in the beginning of this thread, this is just side work for me right now. I am keeping my full time job. That allows me to use the facility and keep fully paid-for Insurance. When, not if, things come to full steam in the performance shop we will locate a larger shop. Give the shop a name(I've been planning this since I was 12). I like "River City Speed". Right now, we are going to keep things on the down low, until our personal cars are fit to show our work. The Twisted 6 is gonna be a knock out, show stopper. When we put the B16a head on my buddy's B18B/CRX, that thing is gonna scream. I already get compliments on my '71, and you've seen it cry2.gif . I'll keep everyone posted.

Read this about management. Its good stuff, I live by it. I have a degree in management and one in public relations. People have to feel like a part of the vision, not just a customer or employee. You should focus on giving a balance of 1/3 to customer, 1/3 to employee and 1/3 to management. They are all equally important. The command and control days are over. Well maybe not for the military but you know what I mean. I have been in management for 22 years as a Marine and learned one thing if not more, and that is you have to inspire first and foremost. People should says things like "Man I wish I was that guy/gal, or "Those guys are locked on and really give a Damn about me as a customer". Me and my wife got involved with Herbalife 6 years ago and have amassed a fortune on people's results with weight loss and health etc. My favorite saying is " I don't want your money, I want your results". Its the results that make you successful. You can apply that to any business. The question is, what results will make a difference in your field. Just food for thought. I have the utmost repect for Entrepreneurs because we make the world go round. Never stop dreaming or being creative. I have sent you a great article by Michael Hammer that explains Control and Complexity. You must have a Business Plan first as well. Don't make the mistake I initially did. If you know where you wanna go but don't plan on how to get there, you may never find your way. Ever hear of "Lost in Space" lol. Im just here to help. Enjoy.

2thumbs.gif

One very, very important question.

Do you have a business plan?

And I don't mean, "yea, we're gonna do this, then that, etc..". I mean a written, concise plan that outlines expenses, goals, timelines, etc..

You are only hurting yourself if you don't address this. And if you haven't done a business plan before, get someone who has experience putting together SUCESSFUL business plans.

Then you must follow and stick to your plan.

A majority of the companies,(businesses) I see go under are a result of poor initial planning and or failure to excecute that plan.

You need to identify your market, you need to identify how you will reach that market, etc..

Your wife should have some idea about business plans and that may be a good start.

So, wanna do my car for good exposure? smile.gif Think about it, Grassroots Motorsport? Likely more after that. Yes, I am bribing you. smile.gif

-Bob

Guest JAMIE T

Thanks guys. First a couple of things. 1, the dynojet won't fit in the shop. 2, the rent is cheap. We went and met with the guy and checked out the shop. He has a Dodge Dakota with a vortech, built engine, etc... and a '69 Mach 1 Mustang that he is building with baer brakes and a built 351C. So, he is a hot rodder in the sense of the term. We'll have to bring in a lift. The electrical hook-up is there for one. Still lots of details to iron out, I will keep you guys posted.

Jamie, 1st and foremost is to hammer out the finances. Forget about what you bring to the table as a mechanic. You need someone who can RUN and MANAGE a business. That will be your BIGGEST key to success. Don't forget all the little details like uniforms, tools, supplies, shop materials, the list goes on and on... I've done quite a bit of research on this and I'd pick your buddy at Rosen's brain about what caused his terminal failure. THAT SHOP was a dead ringer to succeed I thought, and it tanked...

Do lots of research... THAT IS THE KEY!

Let me know if I can help!

Mike