HybridZ

OK, my turn for a R230 thread!

Guest JAMIE T

May I put my opinion?

Ok, I hate phony design of our rear suspension of z.

The original McPharson strut design consists of strut/spidle, lower control arm and toe control rod. Our z doesn't have independent toe control rod.

When we remove the upper strut mount but lower is still attached on the lower arm, we can move it only on a plane which is vertical to the lower arm axis but can't move it fore and aft more than an inch. Stock has rubber suspension bushes so the upper mount can be line up with the strut rod.

If we put 'no-play' spherical bearings on the one piece lower/toe control arm design, we can adjust camber but I am not sure about toe adjustment. Uneven stress may cause failure of shocks and/or bearings.

If you are going to put spherical joints and toe adjustment lower arm, think twice the design. I suppose toe control rod should be isolated from lower arm (see avatar).

Then we can also relocate inner pivots of lower arm. This enables to adjust anti-squat for traction.

Kazu

----

Anyway I will put muitilink on my z.

Kazu, Jamie was on the team that designed the rear round tube arms I sold back in 2001-2003. The problem with not using heim joints in the rear is the binde the arm is put in. We had several arms suffer structural tubing failures beyond the welds because the metal, over time (These were track cars on slicks) was fatigued to the point of failure of the metal tubing.

I think you and Jamie both are onto something... I particularly like Jamie's design because I have the same type of rear differential (Not a standard R200/ R180) and will be covering this hurdle soon.

Mike

I can't begin to explain what I'm building without just showing it. I will hopefully have an arm welded together today. Maybe both of them. Every scenario you can think of has crossed my mind including exactly what is pictured in you avatar. I wanted to do a multilink, but I didn't want to "Back-Half" my car. What I'm building is a happy medium between stock and something adjustable. I really wanted to build something that could be bolted in without much trouble.

Well, maybe not EVERY situation. But I had many sleepless nights over it! This has been a long time in the making. I'm going to start a thread in the suspension section to deal with that aspect of the "NEW IRS".

Jody, I want to keep the inner A-Arm mounts high so that the roll center doesn't get too high. I am actually going to drop the outer arm mounts as it bolts to the strut housing to lower the RC further. This will help keep the tires squarer to the ground during squat as well as make a better handling car. As you said, raising the diff will have other benifits anyway. So that is what I'm going to do.

Inner mounts high and outer mounts low gives you a HIGH roll center. If the inner pivots are lower than the outer pivots that gives you a LOW roll center. Between your design and BlackBeaut's you guys are really doing some interesting things to this rear suspension. Very nice work, both of you. :2thumbs:

Looks terrific! I'm probably going to be after you for the complete package, struts, brakes, and all.

Can you tell me the dimension from the line connecting the studs that hold the mustache bar to the back of the frame you've made? Looks like about 4", but hard to tell. I'm trying to see how it will fit with the stock tank.