HybridZ

turbo questions (I know you're all excited)

zeiss150

pssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..........BOOM

not on his built motor..

i plan on running one with my rebuilt stock motor at 20+psi of boost to see where the limit is.

then it gets a forged built bottom end and then im done with the blue Z.

well.. then nitrous but thats later :D lol

mike

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have I t3/t4 that will bolt up that I was planning on selling on Ebay shortly I have heard the make between 300 and 400. I also have a Volvo intercooler that might fit closely I have to check

email me and I can email you a photo or two. It was recently rebuilt and its definately a big improvment over the stock ZX Turbo.

Put T3/T4 Turbo in the subject line,

Zimmerle1@cox.net

Guest 73Turbo240z
pssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..........BOOM

i beg to differ...

losboost5vp.th.jpg

losboost21mm.th.jpg

:-P i've dumped too much money into this freaking shortblock to see it go boom at anything under 30+ psi or me having a real blonde moment in tuning.... i hope lol.

so there are some better factory turbos out there... see I didn't even know that there were any.

"factory" turbo's are still turbo's made by someone else... it's just most arn't mean't for true *** kicking performance like "aftermarket" turbos... we just use them for it cause we make it work from time to time... that being said, there is no "bolt on" turbo upgrade except the z31 which the watercooled is a maintence/care upgrade, not a performance one.

losboost35ww.th.jpg

thats my HY35w bolted up... it "bolts on" and thats about where it stops, as you may or may not see i have a few hurdles to overcome, namely the wastegate actuator, stock actuator pegs 20-23psi *stock*, which while my motor will take that easy, i don't want to try and tune my car on 20psi right off the bat, i'd like to be able to puss foot around @ 5psi where the motor is at less of a risk while i learn MSnS.

The beneifts are obvious w/ this turbo though...

losboost48xm.th.jpg

that is a 4 & 1/2" outlet... stock... with a very well designed wastegate dump that will flow very nicely, however this also presents it's own set of problems that are unique to my application also...

losboost58ok.th.jpg

that is the elbow off my HY35w... a stock holset elbow... 4 & 1/2" fitting for the exhaust side tapering to a 3 & 1/2" diameter detroit diesel connection.

So off the top of my head i have to do the following:

- Adapt m12 x 1.5 oil feed inlet on the turbo to the 1/8" npt inlet @ the block (that was a chore and a half till recently)

- Fabricate a new wastegate actuator bracket that will allow me to run a ZXT wastegate actuator to control lower boost setups

- Modify the ZXT actuator rod length to mate nicely to the wastegate puck arm and allow smooth motion of travel through the PSI increase

- Clock the compressor housing to about where it's shown in the photo before i fab and tig a bracket to the housing, which requires installing the motor 1st to be 100% sure we'll have the clearance i think we will

- Install the motor to see if that stock holset elbow will even work in the Z engine bay, alot of concearn about clearance between fenderwell, firewall, and block, and for good reason, thats a massive fkn sewer pipe to try and make a downpipe out of, if the elbow doesn't work then i have to order the different sizes of pipe, transistions, fittings, etc... to make probally the ugliest and most complicated downpipe ever lol.

Thats about all i can think of off the top of my head... going fast reliably isn't cheap or easy... any "big turbo" upgrade will require some level of fabrication... some more than others.

Guest bastaad525

I have another question.

Are there alternate wastegate actuators that can be bolted on to the stock T3?

I know this isn't that big of a deal, probably no one has even looked into this, but something I could bolt on that would run some other amount of boost or respond differently. WGA upgrades on other turbo cars seem to be pretty common.

For example, I was reading up on SRT-4's, and on those cars they upgrade the WGA because the stock one starts to taper off boost at higher RPM.

Funny, I have had that same problem with my Z.

Guest 73Turbo240z
I have another question.

Are there alternate wastegate actuators that can be bolted on to the stock T3?

I know this isn't that big of a deal' date=' probably no one has even looked into this, but something I could bolt on that would run some other amount of boost or respond differently. WGA upgrades on other turbo cars seem to be pretty common.

For example, I was reading up on SRT-4's, and on those cars they upgrade the WGA because the stock one starts to taper off boost at higher RPM.

Funny, I have had that same problem with my Z.[/quote']

anything can be done, w/ a little fabrication work.

i just wish i had an exploded diagram of a holset WGA so i could play more w/ the idea of opening up the diaphram head to cut a coil or 2 off the spring and lower it's *stock* boost setting.

The Holset sounds like a great idea - I'll be watching to see how you make out 73turbo240z.

This could be a hot upgrade as lots of Dodge guys are upgrading to larger units. I believe the HX35 is even bigger than your HY35 as the HY35 was used on later 2nd gen auto trucks. Also there are lots of different specs for the Dodge Cummins turbos. (I tried to copy and paste this info here but I can't seem to figure it out).

http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/FAQ/turbo_faq.htm

As you can see the factory wastgate settings vary from 17 to 26 psi depending on the year and model. I have a 98 12valve 215hp diesel with a stock HX35. It will boost to 21 psi (on my guage) but my research shows that this unit is good for 30-35 psi with great reliability. Lots of potential here for us!

Now for my question - does anyone have a source for compressor maps for Holsets? I tried finding one the other day with no luck at all.

Guest 73Turbo240z
The Holset sounds like a great idea - I'll be watching to see how you make out 73turbo240z.

This could be a hot upgrade as lots of Dodge guys are upgrading to larger units. I believe the HX35 is even bigger than your HY35 as the HY35 was used on later 2nd gen auto trucks. Also there are lots of different specs for the Dodge Cummins turbos. (I tried to copy and paste this info here but I can't seem to figure it out).

http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/FAQ/turbo_faq.htm

As you can see the factory wastgate settings vary from 17 to 26 psi depending on the year and model. I have a 98 12valve 215hp diesel with a stock HX35. It will boost to 21 psi (on my guage) but my research shows that this unit is good for 30-35 psi with great reliability. Lots of potential here for us!

Now for my question - does anyone have a source for compressor maps for Holsets? I tried finding one the other day with no luck at all.

correct, i have both an HX35 and an HY35... the HY has a 9cm compressor wheel, the HX a 12cm compressor wheel, i went w/ the 9cm for the sake of spooling it a little easier, i still want to be able to drive the car on the street w/ some boost fun for corners, don't want to always be waiting for the lag.

i would like to see flow maps for these turbos as well though.

Hope you don't mind a Newbie here chiming in. I as well as several Turbo Ford people are running Holsets including Hy-35 and Hx-35s. I was able to use the stock Hy-35 actuator by putting a stiff spring with an adjusting nut on the actuator shaft to lower the internal spring rate. As far as a compressor map I found this link for an Hx-35 posted on Turboford.org. and is nearly the same for the Hy-35, the main difference being the exhaust/turbine housing. Norm. http://img129.exs.cx/img129/6342/holset77554qu.th.gif

Guest 73Turbo240z
Hope you don't mind a Newbie here chiming in. I as well as several Turbo Ford people are running Holsets including Hy-35 and Hx-35s. I was able to use the stock Hy-35 actuator by putting a stiff spring with an adjusting nut on the actuator shaft to lower the internal spring rate. As far as a compressor map I found this link for an Hx-35 posted on Turboford.org. and is nearly the same for the Hy-35, the main difference being the exhaust/turbine housing. Norm. http://img129.exs.cx/img129/6342/holset77554qu.th.gif

Do you have photos of this WGA setup? What variances in boost adjustability were you running? I'd definately like to see some photos or hear some really detailed descriptions of this setup you speak of before i go and hack up my HY35w WGA. Thanks!

From what i've heard so far it sounds like you used the spring and locknut as a pretentioning system on rod side of the WGA diaphram, if i'm visualizing it right?

As you know, the actuator spring pulls the rod in so you use a stiff coil spring to help pull it out so it doesn't require as much boost to push the actuator open. Mine had an adjustable rod so I unscrewed the coupler and tapped longer threads onto the diaphram end of the rod to screw on an adjusting nut. The spring then goes onto the shaft against the diaphram housing, then a washer and adjusting nut. I found by using a really stiff spring I could run the boost at 15 psi or less until I was able to ad more fuel. Since then I have been able to run 25+ psi with without detonation partially due to water/alky. Everyone that has used one on the 2.3 Ford has found that 15 psi with the Holset has as much power as the stock t3 at 20+ psi. I was told it was due to the cooler/densor air charge due to improved efficiency. Surprisingly I noticed only 1 or 2 hundred difference in spoolup rpm. Norm.

Guest 260ondubs

Rock on Z people (Well only Z people that want to be helpfull and don't play with star wars action figures and dream about the "hot" girl friend that they are going to get someday) :rockon:

All I said was..... do a search. You obviously didn't do that. That IS what the mods on here want you to do. They religiously preach that. Search before you ask. Read and understand before you type.

As for your quote up above...... "Settle down, tiger!"

yeah I guess you're right 260ondubs ... this thread was a total waist of time ... I guess 30 + replys means that no one was interested in this info. Do us all a favor and let the web master police the site ... and about my making fun of your star wars action figures... it's only funny if it's true.

Rock on Z people :rockon:

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure that anyone cares, but I thought I would share. The company I work for manufactures heavy equipment. I was on a trip this week to do some network updates and was at our plants replacing switches. I don't know why I never thought of this before, but there on the floor were at least 50 different CAT and Cummins engines with all different sizes of Holset turbos. I know I saw HX35W's, HX35's and HX30's, there are probably others. I'm going to do a little research and see if we sell these through service parts, and if so what an employee price would be. Anybody ever bought these new. and if so at what kind of prices ?

Jason

• 2 weeks later...
Not sure that anyone cares' date=' but I thought I would share. The company I work for manufactures heavy equipment. I was on a trip this week to do some network updates and was at our plants replacing switches. I don't know why I never thought of this before, but there on the floor were at least 50 different CAT and Cummins engines with all different sizes of Holset turbos. I know I saw HX35W's, HX35's and HX30's, there are probably others. I'm going to do a little research and see if we sell these through service parts, and if so what an employee price would be. Anybody ever bought these new. and if so at what kind of prices ?

Jason[/quote']

Any word on selling the Holsets. I'm thinking of selling my Hy-35 and buying an HX with the divided housing. Norm

Guest 73Turbo240z
Any word on selling the Holsets. I'm thinking of selling my Hy-35 and buying an HX with the divided housing. Norm

i have a brand new never operated HX35w that i was storing as an upgrade project for down the line, i'd be tempted to sell it for $500 or more, cost me $738 originally, this is the 12cm compressor housing model.

i also already have all the spacers, cnc'd v-band, and v-band clamp that i could include for a little more (basically i'll charge what i paid, no markup) all you'd need to do is extend your studs, re-route your oil in and out, and adapt your downpipe...

if you want photos or to know more just drop me a PM and whatnot... i think this HY35 will last me long enough that i can sell this HX.