HybridZ

turbo questions (I know you're all excited)

zeiss150

Ok ... I did a search for my question and found nothing. So either my seachering skills suck or no one has addressed this question.

Which late model cars have turbos that can be used on an L28 turbo swap to gain more HP. for example, will a volvo work ... how about a saab ... a 300zx... a __________ (fill in the blank). The reason for my question is I want to go to the bone yard and find some good hp for "cheap".

there seem to be a million posts about different fuel injectors from old cars but no old turbos?

One last thing what size is the stock turbo on an 83 l28 turbo?

Thanks to anyone that can help.

Rock on Z people :rockon:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your right, your "seachering" skills suck, you probably spelled "turbo" as trubo like you spelled "cheap" as cheep and "fuel" as fule. I can only guess what other key search words got hacked, so maybe try again.

Other than making fun of your spelling I have no value to add. It's late, I've been up for 20 hours working, so ignore me cause I'm amusing myself at your expense and I hope you don't take offense, cause none is intended.

Guest bastaad525

Only turbo I've commonly seen mentioned from other cars that will work on the L28ET is the Z31 turbo... same turbo but with a water cooled center section.

I tried a few searches but didn't really come up with anything useful either. All I see is T3/04, T4, etc. But nothing from other cars.

As far as getting a bigger better turbo for cheap... well one problem is that I dont think there ARE many larger turbos out there that are stock equipment on factory cars. Most turbocharged cars that I know of at least, are of a similiar displacement or smaller as compared to the L28ET, so the real 'common' turbos you'd find at a junk yard are, if anything, going to be smaller than the T3. I don't think you'd find anything like a T4 as stock equipment on a passenger car... maybe on a deisel truck?

Guest bastaad525

no Z31 is the chassis code for the first gen 300zx's. The single T3 from them is a direct bolt on replacement for the stock L28ET T3 (I think some Z31's had a T28 as well?? Or maybe that was the second gen twin turbo 300zx's). As far as I know it is identical in every way except it has a water cooled center section.

Considering that a T3/04 or T4 (the most common upgrade turbos that guys use on L28ET's) usually go for $400-700, I'm sure if there WERE a 'junkyard turbo' that would work and probably be something you could pick up a heck of a lot cheaper, I'm thinking there probably isn't anything compatible out there. I mean, most of us Z guys are on a pretty tight budget (read: cheap), if there were some cheap way to upgrade to a better turbo I'm sure we'd see all kinds of people talking about it (in the same way everyone knows about the 370cc Merkur/SVO injectors).

So since no one talks about a cheap turbo upgrade, I'm guessing there really aren't any OR no one has found one yet.

Guest 260ondubs
Thanks basstad' date=' as always you rock. A follow up question... is a Z31 a chevy?

Thanks again.[/quote']

Whoa.... questions like that prove you don't search, or hardly know much about Z's.

You just have to remember; the people who created and maintain this site (rule it, as it were) like to keep it a tidy place that remains uncluttered and informative.

It really does pay to search and think before you type.

Even Google would tell you what a Z31 is.....

Good luck in the future

I guess that basstad is the only cool person on this site that is interested in helping others. I suppose that all of the people on this site that would critisize someone for asking a question were simply born knowing everything that there is to know about the datsun/ nissan Z car. Don't give me that crap about keeping the "site clean", last I checked this was a forum where questions are to be asked ...and further more no one could answer my question. Have any of you smart a$$'s ever heard of a Z24 ... how about a Z71.... NO? well guess what .... they are all made by chevy. In closing ... if it offends your super intellect that someone might dare to come on "your" beloved site and ask a well intentioned question... maybe you shouldn't visit the site anymore. ... Thanks again Basstad ... you were very helpfull.

Rock on Z people (Well only Z people that want to be helpfull and don't play with star wars action figures and dream about the "hot" girl friend that they are going to get someday) :rockon:

others will work as long as they have a T3 flange.. its just up to you to make everything else work with it, like intercooler piping, wastegate, etc etc etc.

Holset HY35 and HX35 will work with not that much work and its a HUGHHHHHHHH turbo. best part about it is it will spool up fast and wont fade out at higher rpms at all, can run mega PSI on them and there pretty cheap.

they are off of Dodge Cummings Turbo trucks and such.

mike

also Z71, Z51, Z33, Z24 are just trim levels for chevy not the cars chassie code.

Z31, Z32, S30, S130, Z33 are chassie codes for Datsun/Nissan... just alittle hint.

mike

Man you guys are jumping all over this guy. It's not like he asked if you can get 350 hp out of an L6 or what the biggest size tires he can fit under ZGs are or something :wink: Take it easy on the guy.

I suggest you check out the diesel truck thing. If you search there was a thread on those turbos recently, I believe it was said that a Dodge Cummins turbo is the same size as a T3/T4. They use small turbos because they need to spool at 1200 rpms, and despite what you might think I believe they are just about right for the L28ET.

Like Bastaad said' date=' Z31 300zx turbo, not Z32(2nd gen 300zx). Read this thread and you'll know everything.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=103771&highlight=z31

You can use a Volvo intercooler, that's about all you can use from a JY when it comes to horsepower mods for L28ET

im gonna have to say there are more JY mods than mentioned, such as supra, starion, and NPR ICs, 240sx TB, 1g DSM BOV

dont those turboes boost like 18 psi+ stock?

ya :)..

J on this site here in houston is running one and me and Thumper tested the wastegate and we got i think 20 something PSI.

its a badmofo!

mike