HybridZ

Crude Belly Pan Idea *pic*

rudypoochris

Here's some pics, I'm not sure what car this came off of but it is definately some kind of audi. HTH

This is the bottom side, the ducts open to the top side. It's far from mint condition but I thought it might be useful.

100_6658.jpg

Its most definately an audi piece I just dont know where from! Can anyone tell from this pic? I wonder how much this piece would cost new.

100_6660.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read my post above. You need vents in the bonnet to route the air UP' date=' NOT DOWN. If you want to decrease front end lift, you need to minimize the airflow below the car and/or streamline it to increase velocity.

I would angle the diffuser up right behind the radiator bracket. Then have vents placed on the hood so that the airflow from that diffuser plus that from the radiator can both be routed out through the bonnet.

[img']http://www.pistonheads.com/pics/news/9403-175634-4.jpg[/img]

My understanding of this much debated topic is that the vents on the hood need to have a lip to create turbulence which will aid in sucking air out. Here's mine,

myv8z-05-04-23msa-70.jpg

myv8z-05-04-23msa-63.jpg

the extra foglights are for when I forget my glasses

sjgtcday212.jpg

Check out these fog, er, headlights!

Check out the "Show me your hood vents" thread from a while back also. And also, side skirts to keep the air front to rear are required also right? Hmm, maybe we need an aero section in HybridZ also???

I was planning on flat-mounted intercoolers under or near each duct, but that was for the now defunct twin turbo Z project...now I'm just doing it for looks and I'm not afraid to admit it!:-)

It would be cool to test these out, I'm waiting on the Beta Motorsports windtunnel to be completed.

Guest Z Draci

Wow, your hood is almost exactly like the one I'm envisioning. Would you mind sharing who made that for you? I'd love to have them do a my own design!

Untitled-13.jpg

Most recent idea from dinner above. This is the pair of front diffuser ideas i have both very similar. The main difference between Idea 1 and Idea 2 is that idea 2 samples more of the air in the front and pushes it over the bottom of the spoiler. This increased surface area should make more stick and effectively more pull down, or it will simply blow air out the side and lose lamination way before the straight on approach of the air in Idea 1. So if anyone can chime in on that. Also I asked my brother and he thinks that the low pressure air under the pan will suck out the high pressure engine compartment air if a 5-8" gap is made right before the firewall. Any larger a gap would create excessive turbulance and reduce the suction/flow.

Those are just a couple ideas for now, next tuesday my brother is going to help me put this all into Lightwave and we are going to run tests on sections of the datsun with windspeed (from the car moving) as a factor, that way we can find the optimum angle for the diffusers at a given speed. Also we will be able to calculate downforce and see where the airstream is going (via particles). So that should step this up a notch expect an update.

A late note I have is that from the originally proposed sketches, Idea 1 is the closest to the Nissan Factory Underbelly Pan that was used on the Z432R's.

The underbelly pan was used in conjunction with the G-Noses' lower apron (which went back to the lower radiator support, where the underbelly pan started) and went back to the rear of the transmission. It was complete with drainage / servicing holes for fluids. It was made of FRP, and is shown in the Fairlady Z parts catalog from 1972 if anyone is interested in what it looked like.

That underbelly pan was what Nissan used when wind tunnel testing the G-Nose during development of the S130 body. With a slight Rake, The G-Nose and headlight covers, and that bellypan the Cd of the S30 was reduced from .465 to .38X...