HybridZ

widest rims that fit inside YZ rear flares?

• 1 year later...
Guest 77 280 Z Christopher

I am putting the entire YZ kit on but will be using it strickly as a daily driver. Without modifying the suspension just yet, other than 5 lug hubs, what backspacing, size, and offset should I be looking at?

• 4 months later...
I was hoping that someone on here with the YZ rear could measure from the inner body to the inside of the flare, the overall width that will fit in there. I'm at 13.25" and need atleast 15" fender to body.

What are you working on? Are you trying to get the wide Goodyear FA's in the back of the white car?

Yeah. I have some older 11.5" FA rears that have a 12" tread and are about 13" wide overall that would work but I just got another set of new take off Yoko FA's that have a 13" tread and are almost 15" wide. I can make the 11.5's work with my current flare but they are on the hard side and the Yokohama's are like new and can get more if I need. I can also get some NOS (few years old) Goodyears cheap but they are 12.5 and need more flare too.

Yeah, I looked at those rear Yokohamas way back when and was thinking no way in hell is that going to happen. That's a 350mm wide rear tire!!!

You might squeeze it in with the YZ flares though. I was just curious if you felt you needed 15" for the FA rear. I was hoping to squeeze the FA rear under a 3" flare. I think that's what you have currently on the white car, so it sounds like you've already done what I am planning on...

I don't need the 15" (13"ish tread) but I do need something alot wider than the 9.5" FA front that's on there now. Even with my boost all the way down (18 psi) it is spin city and that's with the E070 (really soft) Goodyears. The 11.5 would work but I can get the yoko's for free or 12.5", 2 year old new Goodyears for less than I was paying for used tires.

I think the flares I have on now are 3". If you are planning on running them, you'll have to move the strut in a little to get the tire closer to the body. I was going to shorten the LCA's or go with azc and shorten the halfshaft an inch. I'll send you some pics as I do it.

Yeah. I have some older 11.5" FA rears that have a 12" tread and are about 13" wide overall that would work but I just got another set of new take off Yoko FA's that have a 13" tread and are almost 15" wide. I can make the 11.5's work with my current flare but they are on the hard side and the Yokohama's are like new and can get more if I need. I can also get some NOS (few years old) Goodyears cheap but they are 12.5 and need more flare too.

Yokos are slower than the GY radials, even though the GYs are narrower. But if you have access to a bunch that are cheap why not use them.

You probably already know this but you need to run stiff springs to really make those tires work. And the setup is going to be different between the GYs and the Yokos since the tire stiffness is different. And to make the rears work you will need to think about droop limiting or you will see high inside tire temps that look like too much camber. It's caused by inside tire roll when you put the power down.

Cary

I went over to John Washington's place (Reaction Research) and held up one of his YZ flares on a S30 he had and measured it. I didn't have a camera with me but it was exactly 15" from the inner body to the inside opening of the flare. My stock fendered 240 is around 11" from body to fender opening and I fit a 275mm with a 17x9 wheel. The pic below is my flared Z (not YZ flares) but is just to show were I measured at. Hopefully this will help someone later.

flarepicut6.jpg