HybridZ

coilover question

Guest sukimoto

Guest sukimoto

pretty soon i will be upgrading the suspension on my z. These are the only coilovers i have found so far.

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26_40&products_id=66

they dont show a spring rate though, so will they stiffen up my ride? or should i just go with some struts/shocks + stiff springs?

also, i was wondering if the 70-78z coilovers

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26_40&products_id=12

would work on my car with a little work

After looking at the link you provided I can assume that you have a 280zx. After reading the first couple of lines this is what I saw "one pair of Hypercoil's unrivalled quality coilover springs selected to suit your requirements".

What that statement means to me is that when you talk to them they will help you to determine what your needs are and provide you with the correct spring rates. This is exactly what would be expected of a profesional operation and a profesional operation is what you will be dealing with when deal with Modern Motorsports.

Dragonfly

What that statement means to me is that when you talk to them they will help you to determine what your needs are and provide you with the correct spring rates. This is exactly what would be expected of a profesional operation and a profesional operation is what you will be dealing with when deal with Modern Motorsports.

Agreed. Ross will help you determine the appropriate spring rates based on what you are using the car for.

• 3 weeks later...

I have Tokico Illuminas all around adjusted at the stiffest settings. I like to auto X, but drifting is what I love to do as a hobby to mess around. Going with a stiffer spring would be the way to go with a drifting and even auto-x setup. With my set-up...you get a jarring ride. :P Watch the guys who drive the touring cars...watch how their cars jar around...that's what mine looks like going fast around corners, gripping like it's on rails. :P Change the tires and I'm ready to slide around. :P It's fun!

Chris

ground control set-up with 275 front and 325 rear springs give hardly any squat, but is stiff. i also have 275-40-17 front and 315-35-17 rear, which will give the car a stiff ride anyhow. i have heard of people removing the rear swaybar with springs over 275 to help with your goals.

definately move the front struts to the rear and install the mr2 front struts as suggested. koni's are too stiff, tokiko's seem to work out the best, kyb will have you utilizing their warranty as long as you don't mention the car is lowered.... and if your wondering, this car does not drift at all. which is just the way i set the car up for how i like to drive.

Talk with ross about struts as well... You can get custom valved Konis for your setup. If you're sectioning the strut, make darned sure to follow John C.'s write-up... I disagree with the above comment about Tokicos. I've got a brand new set with one already failed unit... And they ahve only been used to roll the car around in the shop... Illuminas seem to be ok for street use and AutoX... Dont' plan to use them in road race or HPDEs. Most guys I know who have generally don't keep them... They tend to not be able to shed heat well and end up failing in the valving chamber.

MIke

Tokico Illuminas that are used in Z applications (Z, MR2, Rabbit) do not have enough rebound control for spring rates over 250 lb. in. When you go to springs that stiff, or higher, you need to start moving into modified Konis, AD, and Bilstiens. For 99% of the people on this board, 250 lb. in. springs are plenty. 200 front and 225 rear (or vice versa) are ideal with a set of Tokicos.