HybridZ

CA cops anyone

Gollum

Ok, here's an idea. How many people here think that a cop could tell weather or not a RB25DE/RB26DE came in a ZX? I mean, even my best friend who has his smog lisence says that most smog shops would pass it without even knowing if it all looked right.

It's either that or a L28ET for me in the future. And a L28ET won't get the same MPG/HP ratio as the RB motors. My only other option would be to sell my ZX and get a presmog S30 Z.

So, comments on local law enforment?

• 2 weeks later...

A non turbo RB motor should pass smog emission tests with flying colours, argue that the RB motor wasnt designed to run on Leaded Petrol and the RB is actually alot better for the envrionment.

If your going N/A get an RB30E, only SOHC but still 3L and a newer RB motor.

You'd be surprised what get's by even the ref! Most refs in CA would pass any hondo motor in a honda as long as it fit certain criteria, such as 1) displacement 2) OBD regulations on that year's model (has to be a US spec EMC because it will show up as JAP on the test)

That's pretty much it. If you took a B16A and put it in a CRX and changed the valve cover they wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

The REAL issue with putting a RB motor in a Z is that all RB motors are OBD and the Z & ZXs arren't OBD at all. So there would be alot of hidding involved....

So is the RB30DE cross flow. Never mind, don't answer me. I'll do my own research.

I'm not sure how they check displacement. I remember when I got my ZX smogged at a ref he said "what size motors are these supposed to have?" And I said "2.8" and he said "man, they really gyped people, it came up quite a bit under"

I know there's a bit of information they take from the underhood stickers. I wonder if that's where they get the cc rating or something.

Well, poker is calling. I'm still going to contimplate this install if I decide to keep my ZX for the long haul.

Yea, borken link.

OBD has the very obvious OBD plug locations. If you're lucky they'll know that it's preOBD (wich a ref would know for sure, but is more likely to know what's stock) and skip over looking for the plug to begin with.

A cop would probly never know. I bet I could pass any RB motor NA with a cop (yes i realise that my title revolves around cops), but the bi-annual test i'd either have to really try to make certain aspects of the motor dissapear, or change the motor every other year (wich i'm willing to do, since even if a cop sent me to a ref, i could change the motor). But that means I need to have stored in a garage a motor, tranny, driveshaft, mounts, ect. And lets not even get into the idea of swaping the harness. That's just nasty to think about.