HybridZ

280ZX Turbo Dizzy

Lurch2461

Guest 280kraZ

Well if it has a P90 then it shouldn't be non-turbo. But the timing on the turbo distributors is controlled by the ecu. so if it plugs into the ecu then it would be a turbo distributor. You can see where you can adjust the timing on the side of a non-turbo dissy. The turbo dissy's don't have this (timing controlled by Crank Angle Sensor). Also the turbo distributor won't have a vacuum controller on the side of it. Hope this helps

Guest 280kraZ

One more thing, correct me if i am wrong here people but I think that the cap on the turbo distributors is attached with screws, whereas the non-turbo distributor has 2 clips to hold the cap on.

Dennis,

As Oz did not get the L28ET (like most of the world) you might find it hard to find one locally. If you have the F54/P90 (non turbo config - I have seen a few here in NZ also) it should have just the stock EI dissy + flattop pistons. I have purchased a L20ET to see if these use the L28ET dissy that the guys state side use with megasquirt. However they are a crank sensor unit but are not optical like the L28ET. I will try and take some pics tonight when I get home to show the differences between the L20ET dissy, L28ET dissy (I purchase from ebay) and the CAS on the crank.

Can anyone tell me how I can tell the difference between a turbo dizzy and non turbo dizzy on the 280ZX F54/P90 motor.

Cheers' date='

Dennis in Ozland[/quote']Turbo distributor has a star-shaped engagement to the shaft, where non-turbo has an offset slot. The turbo unit also has an optical pickup, where the non-turbo uses a reluctor pickup. And yes, the turbo cap is screwed down, and is a bigger diameter.

They cannot be swapped without swapping the oil pump shaft and the ECU that reads the crank angle.

Guys guys guys! We are all trying to be helpful, but us boys in the US of A are just confusing the poor gent of Oz.

The L20ET as well as Eurospec L28ET's did NOT have a special optical trigger or crank trigger unit like we got here with the ECCS system!

The dude from Kiwiland is hitting on it, and basically the Non-US turbo cars had a standard style ZX distributor with the control module on the side, and a SIMPLE pneumatic retard/advance cannister on them. For guys with a simple Megasquirt setup, having one of those Euro Dizzies would be the hot, simple ticket for a quick install without having to screw with the timing maps.

Anyway, Kiwilad has it correct, the turbo dizzy will actually retard a SIGNIFICANT degree when you pressurize the "advance pot" on the side of it. If you apply a vacuum, it will move one way to give you 7 degrees advance, and if you let that vacuum off, it will return to the "middle" of it's range, when you apply 7psi to the thing, it will move the OTHER direction about the same amount, for 7 degrees of retard.

Aside from that, the weights and advance points are slightly different, but I have no information on that. A N/A dizzy will not move appreciably when you blow pressure into the pot, unless something is broken!

Hope that clears it up for ya! Good Luck, Cheers!

Ok here are the PICS I promissed earlier. These show the differences between the L20ET (that we get in a number of JDM imports here in NZ and OZ ie early Skylines R30, Laurels C31, Leapords ??. I have even seen the same dizzy in a L20E powered Fairlady ZX ie L20 factory installed in a 280zx body JDM)....they say a pic is worth 1000's words so I will let them speak for them selves.

Dizzies1.jpgDizzies2.jpgDizzies3.jpgDizzies4.jpg

intresting, as my l20et Dizzy does not look like your one on the left. I have two of them and they both have the slotted pickup disk....... (optical) ? im unsure, but they look nothing like your version on the left. What year l20et's were they out of ?. mine is the 85 version.

intresting, as my l20et Dizzy does not look like your one on the left. I have two of them and they both have the slotted pickup disk....... (optical) ? im unsure, but they look nothing like your version on the left. What year l20et's were they out of ?. mine is the 85 version.

I have two of those Dizzy like the one of the left both from C31 Laurel L20ET years are 82 and 83. Interesting that yours is the optical, that what I was looking for when I purchased my 2 dizzies (one came with a car for $100) the other I got from Trademe. In the end I got the L28ET from ebay as I knew it would be the optical unit. If I knew I could get one locally I would have tried harder and save all the shipping from the USA.

Wow, that is different! Then there are THREE versions of the Turbo Distributor, one for JDM, one for USA, and one for Eurospec!

I guess this makes sense, the JDM and US Emissions laws are similar, so their engine controls would be similar. But the German and Euro Market L28Turbos (rated at 200HP) indeed have a simple pneumatically retarded distributor as I listed above.

Learn something new every day I suppose, but now I am wondering where I got an obviously Euro Turbo Dissy in my collection, when I have it marked as "84 Skyline L20ET"? Damn, the intrigue continues.

Thanks for those photos! The output from both should be similar---Nissan is very standardized within years as to what signals they wanted to incorporate. I O-Scoped the US model 81 CAS, and compared the Waveform to an 82/83 CAS unit, and they were identical traces---I would suspect if you find the right two wires, the hall effect shaping circuit in there will give a similar output to the ECU as any of the other Turbo CAS units. What you will be looking for the Megasquirt will be the signal from the individual pickup on the "bottom" of the Dizzy in the photos above. This will give you the six firing signals you need for the trigger. You will probably have to use the HEI module same as on the other units, but hookup is identical. You can test the hookup using a DVOM and watching the pulses coming out while turning it by hand fairly quickly. The two wires that give you the pulse when you wiggle one point of the reluctor past the single pickup will be the one you want. I might also say that the wiring color and wire position of the single picku will be the SAME as the 82/83 unit because it's the same on the 81, and they both use the same plug to interface with the stock ECCS system.

The upper portion of the dizzy is unused---it is the leading trailing setup that is incorporate in the 81 CAS to interpolate 1 degree increments, and on the 82/83 unit as the megaslotted outer ring to give the one digree resolution.

Good Luck, take a look at Mobys Stickies over at Megasquirt Forum here and between the two it shoudl go together smoothly.

• 9 months later...

Sorry to boot a old post. I have just got a l28e. Well picking it up this sunday. What id like to know is there a way i can mod my dizzy drive to adapt my l20et optical/cas dizzy ? It has the common star shaped drive and slot.

ID rather not swap the oil pump drives over as i dont really have the skills to do it. Well maybe but not the guts lol

Sorry to boot a old post. I have just got a l28e. Well picking it up this sunday. What id like to know is there a way i can mod my dizzy drive to adapt my l20et optical/cas dizzy ? It has the common star shaped drive and slot.

ID rather not swap the oil pump drives over as i dont really have the skills to do it. Well maybe but not the guts lol

It is a very very simple task - where in NZ are you if you are in Auckland I can show you how to swap the oil pumps/drive over. If you are planning to turn your new L28E into a L28ET using the L20ET stuff that is again simple the L20ET exhaust manifold is the same as the L28ET :) and the oil pump is the same also the turbo pump is different to the stock L28E unit so you will want to swap these over anyway. First drain the oil (you don't have to but it will be much much cleaner and you wont spill much oil - you will drop some as the pump will have some left in it)

So first set both engine at TDC. Unbolt and remove the dizzy from the L28E then from the L20ET. Now unbolt the 4 outter bolts from the oil pumps (these are long, 2 are longer than the others) remove the oil pump (you might need a rubber hammer to break the gasket seal) becareful as the dizzy/oil drive shaft will come out with it (of course you took photos or noted how the dizzy end of the shaft was sitting before you removed the oil pump so you can install this back at the same place = timing back at the same point). Then just do the reverse to install the turbo pump and drive in the L28E block. Install the dizzy, manifolds etc, install the engine (with bigger injectors of course and using the L28 manifold as I think it will have bigger intake ports - not sure) have fun will more cc = power/torque

Now I could help you out but you must give me your first born :evil: no only kidding about that - I could give you a oil pump drive shaft and turbo oil pump (second hand) but I would need the drive shaft and oil pump from your L20ET to replace the one I give you so I can use them on my engine build when I start it.

What ECU will you be using? I have an unassembled megasquirt v2.2 I could sell you (I will assemble if you require it)

I did some swapping while in Japan, and I found that the L20 Maifolds make for SEARING throttle response and phenomenal torque down low.

Now that also goes with the engine falling flat on it's face by 550 FOR SURE.

But with an L20E intake manifold on an L28, using L20ET Injectors on the stock L20E ECU and AFM, the car I did that swap on, when in a sweeping turn would absolutely BOIL the tires with instant torque when I follred the throttle at 2000rpms.

So if you are building a stoplight performer, don't discount those small runners on the L20 Manifolds!

Vlowcity velocity velocity! That little step at the head is nice for anti-reversion as well, helping with dilution of the charge while under boost due to exhaust backpressure.

Just some random thoughts! Good Luck on the build.

HAAH thanks for the replys. good to see some people on the same game as me.

Acuatlly i dont think ill have to much problems with my intake. IT has some ported runners. And a 60mm TB. with the inlet matched to it also. So it can really flow something large!

Sorry tho im in wellington. Looks like i could be getting a nice falt this weekend. If all goes well with a double garrage!!!! And got a whole 280zx for $300 :D

For the time being ill be using the facotry l20et gear. Im running some vg30et 270cc injectors in the l20et atm as i maxed out my others. Im sure the l20et gear will be very simlar to the l28et gear... Injectors are still to small for my likings.

intresting how much for the megasquirt. any good at tunning ? :P

THE downside to my l28et build is that it will be going into my hr30 coupe. Which i have to change the oil pump anyway pick up, Sump and get the dipstick redriled for the Forward facing sump. Bit of a pain :(