HybridZ

LD28e questions

savageskaterkid

I have searched a bit about this but i don't really get the answers i need-its mostly useless info, there is sum good info that has helped me quite a bit.

I need to know, what is the stock LD bore, not the bore that i would need on the L28, but the actual bore of the LD motor it self? And what is the stroke?

What are the stock bore and stroke of the L28e and the L24.

I have a big idea that i have not seen yet, and it seems from wht i know about deisels, i could easily push 25-30 psi daily. BTW, im already planning this out becuz although i junked my other ZX, i plan on getting a first gen real soon, and my mind is working overtime with this next idea, i'll let you guys know more about it once i get into the project, within the next month or 2.

If i could get these specs that i need, i could give you guys a rough guess on the hp and tq numbers.

LD Bore is: 86mm

LD Stroke: 83mm

L28E Bore: 86mm

L28E Stroke: 79mm

L24 Bore: 83

L24 Stroke: 73.7mm

Diesel fuel I believe can handle 25-30 psi however the rest of the engine might be different (pistons, etc). I love this website http://www.ozdat.com/ozdatonline/enginedesign/ it was shown to me by another member, its awesome for toying around with different engine designs.

Tyson

I am thinkin of building a high rev diesel engine, that will run about 30psi, and b biodiesel powered, theres a place about half hour from here that i can get the stuff, and there thinkin of makin a place closer, and i can always fill it with diesel fuel if i get desperate.

Not absolutly sure on the specs yet

Thats seems interesting and more power to you if you do it. The LD28 only had close to 83HP didn't it though? Of course 25-30psi would get you some decent hp numbers. My only main concern is how your going to make the internal parts to where they can sustain that much boost. I at one point was looking into Vegetable oil setup for my dads Duramax truck. Its very interesting stuff.

Tyson

What defines High Rev Diesel? Isn't the stock limit on the LD somewhere in the high 4000's? 4600 comes to mind.

It will send a Z to about 112mph with stock gearing, so with a little gearing play that top speed could be improved upon, but given a diesel is a torque engine anyway, the boost will make getting to 112 pretty fast!

IMO, the rev limit on the LD28 needn't be raised, it can all be accomplished through gearing, just like on large trucks.

i read in sport compact car about a diesel engine called the Z engine, huh-wht a place to talk about such an engine. well, this engine has a compression ratio of about 2:1, well, that VERY low for a diesel. This paticular engine can hold upto 250psi of boost- YES, two-fifty psi, this makes up for the very low compression, it will get more power then a V-8, but its only a 2 cylinder.

I thought, well, lower the compression on the LD a bit, and i could easily run 30 psi daily, and more for the strip if i wanted.

So im gonna drop the compression a whole lot, and run alot of boost, but improve on things so i will get the low end torque and hp.

thehelix112 I love that program it is extremely awesome!!!! I love toying around with all the different motor combinations. So far the favorite one that I've built on there is L28 Block, LD28 Crank, P90 Head, L24 Rods, RB26DETT Pistons, 1mm Head gasket. Gives me a 3.0 stroker with 8.3:1 static compression perfect for a turbo app.

Back to the thread: It seems like you'd have a lot of turbo lag on this setup due to the super low compression. The boost would be good if you were ever able to get it to full boost. It seems like that engine would have to be turning some massive rev's to be able to get enough exhaust flow to spin a turbo to 30psi. I could be wrong though.

Tyson

I'd skip reading magazines like SCC if I were you. The compression you are talking about does NOT utilize an intercooler, and they are injecting up to five gallons a minte on several stages of turbocharging compression until the last one where they do no inject any coolant in order to get enough heat to ignite the fuel when injected!

The stock LD28 was available in Europe with a turbocharger, I'd look to getting a Euro Turbo Manifold (the turbo is the standard T3 with a .43 A/R turbine housing) this, along with the Euro Fuel pump assembly to allow for the increased boost will give you a diesel with the HP of a gas engine, but torque like you will not believe.

For instance, the 2.7L Tubodiesel available in the 2000 Frontier Ute had 170 HP and 285 Torque, with a EuroCityCycle fuel economy rating of 35mpg (thereabouts, it was expressed in KM/L) My 3.3L Gas engine here in the USA only had 170HP, and not NEARLY that much torque.

The newer 3.0L Turbodiesel with direct injection is even better!

But I digress. The way to give low end (off boost) torque is with HIGH compression, to get high end horsepower, you get BOOST---intercooled for proper efficiencies. Intercooling is the key, if you intercool a Diesel, then you can leave the high compression as then the temperature will be brought up to autoignition temperature. If you LOWER the compression, then you HAVE to boost high to get heat into the air charge so the lower compression will bump the charge to autoignition temperature.

Remember you can't preignite a diesel, because the fuel isn't in the chamber unitl it's SUPPOSED to be. Problem is with non-intercooled diesels, is that they will not have the smae power as one with an intercooler simply because of less dense air.

You're a bit backwards on what you need to do to reach your goals---might want to read a bit more technically oriented magazines that go into why things are working the way they do, instead of a periodical that caters to a skim job on the technical end of it... Anyway, the Diesel is a different animal! A normal LD28 will return 40mpg in a Z, and with a turbo, the preformance can be startling---easily equalling that of a stock gas engine, if not surpassing it!

he he he, for instance, I can link you to a photo if a Toyota Truck that runs a 4-71 Detroit, turbocharged, mid engined, and goes over 150mph. He did no modifications to that Detroit, still 17:1 compression, but LOTS of boost, LOTS of cold icewater in his air-to-water intercooler, and HIGH gears.

He does 0-152 in about 1.3 miles....on dirt. That's respectable! If he didn't stretch the frame 14 feet for stability on a minitruck, he could easily house his mill under a standard cap, and really screw with people's minds! LOL

there already has been some people out there who put LD28's in S30 cars. there was even one guy that put a turbo on it and made the damn thing run off of vegetable oil. Now, I dont know of anyone that has jammed 30 psi of boost down its throat, but you are going into completely uncharted territory here either. do a google search on "veggie van", but I think he sold his LD28t powered 240Z on Ebay some time ago.

on a side note..

TONY>>> for a while Ive been fighting an urge to find a ZD30 and put it into a 240SX. 150HP and about 250lbs/ft of torque? That would be fun to turn it into a "drifter" burning deisel fuel, lol! I wonder what kind of mileage it would get, Im guesing low 40's to low 50's..... HA!

Any ideas where I would go about picking up a ZD30 stateside? or time to just start Emailing random engine importers???