HybridZ

Screwed by True Value

Phantom

Always on the search for little ways to dress up my car I found that True value carries chromed metric fasteners. Among them were M10x1.5 Acorn nuts. I bought 6 each of them,and matching flat and lock washers and proceeded to replace the M10 nuts on the top of my front strut towers - only to have the nut gall as I was wrenching it on and then have the stud break loose in the strut so I couldn't get the acorn nut off. This was on the first one and I took it for what it was - an indication that something was terribly wrong. I took the nut I had removed to True Value and, sure enough, it threaded right on to one of their M10 bolts. When I tried to thread one of the acorn nuts on, it got tight after about 1/2 of a turn. At that point I went to the manager. While he was trying every M10 acorn nut he had on his M10 bolt - unsuccessfully - I had one of those rare moments of clarity and went and got a 3/8-16 bolt. You guessed it, someone had put 3/8-16 nuts in the M10x1.5 drawer. The manager was very apologetic and refunded me my money - for the five sets of nuts and washers I hadn't used - he still charged me for the one that is seized on my strut in the car! A real customer relations expert!:twak:

Now I just need to find the customer complaint hotline for Tru Value. maybe this is my excuse to upgrade to the new adjustable Tokico's?:twisted:

Spot,

I'll probably have to cut it off. In the meantime I'm going to make sure the remaining two are locked down tight and keep driving. I got some of the correct nuts today so at least my oopsie won't stick out like a sore thumb until I get it fixed.

Phantom...The local True Value has a great fastener collection. I wound up with a defective wing nut and an excess of cad plated fasteners I did not need in a similar situation as your's. 2 clerks and a part time manager were putting the "screwz" to me. I was on the shortend of a stick for an exchange and adjustment.. well I took the loss !!!!! and applied a lttle recognition technology. Keep in mind True Value has stainless steel fastners very similar in appearance to the cad plated fastners I was screwed on in the exchange. I was still charged for the defective wing nut and lost about 40 cents in the exchage for the cadium plated fastners but for some reason I walked out of the store satisfied with a paper bag of all stainless steel fastners in my firm grip. Initial 40 cent loss escalated to about a 4 dollar gain and upgrade to stainless steel...Self service is great.