HybridZ

1980 280zx sr20det swap? is it a good idea?

Guest derkzander

Guest derkzander

I am in the process of buying a 1980 280zx and will be planning on doin a motor swap. I want something with a turbo and with lots of aftermarket support. So the sr20det came to mind. Would this be a good idea? Could this engine make enough power for a fun/drift/street/track car? Any other swap possibilitys?

thank you

Ive been looking at various swaps for a while now. I was looking for the same things that you seem to want: a turbo and good aftermarket support. The SR20 is a good strong running motor. With some simple bolt ons you can get upwards of 300 hp. If you have ever watched any S13's drift you know what they are capable of. I don't think the weight between difference between the 2 cars is that different (someone back me up on this).

I think there have been several people that have done a VG30 swap in this car but from what I understand its not worth it in some ways. The motor makes alot of power but parts are expensive, the motor is heavy and there are some issues with fitment. But it is all up to you in the end..

My personal favorite is the SR20 just because of the reasons I listed above. I think it would make an extremely fun street car as well as a good drifter with the proper suspension set up. Just do a search or talk to Alex from Vildini. He has done some very impressive swaps with SR20's.

Guest 81na ZX

Good idea? no. A L28ET is a much better idea.

Turbo? check

After Market support? Even more than a SR20.

Easy? yes

Cheap? yes

SR20?

Turbo? ya

Aftermarket? ya, but not as much as a L-series

Easy? no

Cheap? no

I guess I forget the L28ET. As far as swaps go it is the easiest and cheapest. It is a strong motor that can make some very impressive torque numbers. I personally like the idea of a turbo 4 in a Z (call me crazy of lame). I actually was going to do an L28ET but opted for the SR20 just because of the custom factor and there is no one in my town that has even thought of this. Everyone has the standard V8 swap.

As much as the L28et is an easy and affordable swap, not to mention easy torque, it is a very old school engine. I had one in my '71 240 and I loved it. By the way, I don't know were in hell does this guy think that an L28et has more aftermarket support than an SR20det. The L28et was produced for only 3 years and only in a 280zx, were as the SR was produced for over 10 years and used in various forms and sold in the 100's of thousands. Anyhow, im also getting an SR for my 240 since I wanted something that would be lighter, modern, able to rev, and has numerous aftermarket support from various aftermarket companies. I have also found a new love for four cylinder turbo engines since I also own an EVO. It makes 494whp on the stock bottom, head, intake manifold, etc. The only internals changed were the cams and headstuds. This 4g63 is very much like an SR20det in that it has a tremendous following all over the world. They are built very similarly and require minimal parts to make wonderfull power. So I figure that if the 4g63 moves the 3250lb Evo like an animal, then an SR20det making 350whp will make the Z an amazing beast.

I am doing the SR20DET in my 280Z. However, it will be a lot more costly than the L28ET which will bolt right in. You dont have to change the driveshaft or fabricate mounts. Also, the ZX is heavier than the Z. The L28ET is a torquey engine for your heavier car. I would say that the price difference will be around $2500 between the two engines.

Guest 81na ZX
By the way, I don't know were in hell does this guy think that an L28et has more aftermarket support than an SR20det. The L28et was produced for only 3 years and only in a 280zx, were as the SR was produced for over 10 years and used in various forms and sold in the 100's of thousands.

The L series was around for more than 14 years and sold in the hundereds of thousands of units too. L-series engined cars have been raced for about 35 years compared to maybe 14 for SR20DETs.

Then you have to look at the quality of SR20DET parts vs L series parts. 99% of stuff marketed to SR20DET owners is crap, pure and simple.

Guest cturbo28

Both the L28ET and SR20DET engines are good ideas for swaps. Is this not the HYBRIDZ forum?????

I prefer the SR20DET swap myself, technology always wins in my book. Two cams, 4 valves per cylinder, Al Block, Al head, ECU...................don't get me wrong the L28ET is awesome too but I like the SR better. To each his own.

my 0.02

Then you have to look at the quality of SR20DET parts vs L series parts. 99% of stuff marketed to SR20DET owners is crap, pure and simple.

I highly doubt that. There is a HUGE aftermarket and now they are even getting OEM parts in the states that can be ordered through a few distributors for the sr20det. So i dont know which part of the market is crap when even the replica parts for greddy retain almost the same quality and perform just as well.

The L series was around for more than 14 years and sold in the hundereds of thousands of units too. L-series engined cars have been raced for about 35 years compared to maybe 14 for SR20DETs.

Then you have to look at the quality of SR20DET parts vs L series parts. 99% of stuff marketed to SR20DET owners is crap' date=' pure and simple.[/quote']

If you read correctly I said the L28ET, turbo engine, not NA. The turbo engine was only produced for 3 years in the US models. I love the old straight 6 but it is what it is. It was a great design and can still perform but it is a now archaic design. I went through many variations of L series, from l24,l26,l28,with sidedrafts, etc. I loved it then, but know I can appreciate technology were you get more from something smaller and lighter. 4 valves, crossflow heads, twin cams, full girdles, low weights, great on gas. There is simply no comparison in aftermarket supoort here. How many companies make intake manifolds for an L28et? what about exhaust manifolds? But like someone else said to each his own.

I think Superz hit the nail on the head. The L series motors were great for their times but are outdated now. I am still saying that if you are looking for a modern engine with light weight, huge aftermarket support and something that can put some serious HP number down while still being fuel efficient, the SR20 is the way to go. Of course there is also the CA18 (many avoid this just because the dissplacement is a little too small) and the KA24 (bigger displacement but takes some work to handle high horsepower).