HybridZ

My project car... RB26 Drag 300zx

Z32POWER.com

I was wondering if anyone in australia has used a GT47 on their built RB26... if so, power levels, spool, etc... My motor is going to rev out to 12,000 rpm, so I should have plenty of powerband.

Why 12k? That is very arbitrary and in my opinion, unnecessary. I'm sure you've read http://www.exvitermini.com/ and maybe his discussions on various sites about RPM.

I only bring this up because I see it all the time in the "tooner" crowd, (not saying this is you!). I want my motor to turn XXXX rpm! But they don't mention power at all. I'm sure with the serious quality of your build, you have a time goal, or maybe a hp goal. Its extremely expensive to turn 12k rpm in ANY motor except motorcycles......:mrgreen: You should be able to achieve serious hp with less than 10k rpm, which will severely decrease your dollar expenditure. I think this page puts it well:

http://www.theoldone.com/archive/world-according1whatishp.htm

Of note is this:

"Every program I’ve participated in since 1969 has been designed to build engines that run on torque, and lower rpm than the competition’s engines. If you have torque, you simply gear the car accordingly, and you’ll match the competitions speed, and more importantly, you’ll be more likely to be running at the finish."

When I say this company has done some amazing things, its a bit of an understatement. Here is one example,(was written in 1998):

I could, and probably should write some books regarding some of the "things" we and others did to manipulate the rules. But the fact remains, the more restrictive the rules are, the more someone will spend to win in the "gray" areas, which are open to interpretation.

The worst example of this has recently been (3 yrs. back) when NASCAR said they were going to place restrictions on compression ratios. I developed "hydralic connecting rods" which would extend in length as oil pressure built up with rpm. NASCAR's rules simply stated that the static compression ratio had to be less than a "certain" number. Now, static means "not running" to me, and my rods, when collapsed, made everything cc out to legal specs. But running, when the rods grew to a maximum of .125" and put the CR back where it "belongs" we made 100 hp more, and we didn't break any rules because they didn't say "running" CR. When driving to the pits tear-down area, the driver simply lets the car idle for 45 sec. to 1 minute, and the rods collapse to be legal, and when you combine that with the fact that NASCAR only removes the intake and heads, nobody's ever looking at the bottom end. The price that that multicar team paid was $13 million. That's pretty serious, and it's because of rule restrictions. I need to stop before I've written a book!

• 1 year later...