HybridZ

16X8 Rewinds

rudypoochris

I emailed the konig website to ask about 16X8 rewinds, don't think they will be available any time soon.....:

We would need an order of 400 wheels, prepaid and only one contact

handling everything.

========================================================

-----Original Message-----

From: rudypoochris@yahoo.com [mailto:rudypoochris@yahoo.com]

Sent: Monday, October 17, 2005 6:51 PM

To: mail@konigwheels.com

Subject: Questions and Comments

Questions and Comments

------------------------------------

First Name: Chris

Last Name: Moris

Company Name:

Address:

City: Oakland

State: CA

Zip: 94618

Phone:

E-mail: rudypoochris@yahoo.com

Make of Car: Nissan/Datsun

Model of Car: 240z

Year of Car: 1972

Contact Phone:

Questions and Coments:

I was wondering if I arranged a group buy, would it be possible to make

16X8" konig rewinds with a 0 to -10 offset whatever is easiest to make.

In 114.3 X 4 Lug, there seems to be a fair amount of intrest in the

240z

community. If this is possible how many buyers would you need, also

what

would the approximate cost be, thanks!

------------------------------------- :confused2

400 wheels is only 100 "sets" So lets see. If we group buy (with deposit) 33 sets, then perhaps Motorsports (who already handles the weels) could pony up and buy the remainder of the run (?) it would be a worth while adventure. I'd buy a set, they would be a heck of a lot cheaper than the Pannasports I'm considering.

Anybody that close to Motorsports to propose the idea? I know sometimes they're difficult to deal with (so I've heard).

I'm sorry, pics of said wheels?

they are watanabe copies, and very well done. Pretty much the wheel we all dream of, also it is light. But 400 wheels, thats crazy, I like the MSA idea though... should i forward them the email and this thread? Wheels will probably cost them @400 a set, just a guess, so if they need to pick up the other 66% they need to front $26000 ish, of course they will make alot of that back by gouging us and making us pay probably $800 a set. So they realistically would have to put out about $13000 to do this, wonder if they would...?

Heh, buying 3 sets of wheels in a wholesale deal and buying one set from MSA would probably be the same cost.

Having tried to set up group buys in the past, I have a feeling if one person doesn't front all the money and then sell the rest (at a decent markup, unless he wants to lose his shirt) this is not going happen.

OOps they were panasports at Classic Datsun' date=' bound to be more expensive than rewinds. The guys seem really nice there and service and shipping were outstanding. Not sure what they could do for a price on Panasports?? Mabey they would like to be a Konig dealer if someone asked ??

http://www.classicdatsun.com/new/240Z.html

Well those are 16X7's, a little skinny for me but also they are kind of pricey. The problem with getting these konig wheels is that they demand payment for 400 wheels upfront, kind of steep.

I just asked konig the price per wheel if they made 16X8 watanabe knock offs with the 4X114.3 pattern and the correct offset, it would be $78 per wheel. That isn't bad, but the down side would be that MSA would have to order 400X78 = About $31,000 in konig wheels. Granted, they might be willing to take the hit if they have enough guarenteed buyers. So i mailed them, hopefully they will respond positively.

MSA guys:

We have already talked to them about making the rewinds in a 16" wheel. Konig has no intention to make there wheel in 16". Unless (like you found out) there is a huge prepaid amount of a wheel. 400 wheels is a big order with out knowing if people are actually going to buy them. A lot of people talk the talk but do not walk the walk. I do not think that we are going to offer any wheels for the early z in 16X8. The reason for that is because it is really difficult to get a 8 inch wide wheel to fit on an early z car without coilovers. We have tried using the Panasport 16X7 wheels with 0 offset but there*were some complaints (using certain tires) about the tires rubbing. We*are now getting the*Panasports*with a positive 6 offset to correct the problem of the tires rubbing. There would be numerous problems with a 16X8 wheel because we would have to carry numerous offsets for people with coilovers and with standard springs.* With standard springs people will complain about the wheel hiting the fenders or the wheels sticking out from the car. You will have to find people to buy 800 wheels for people with and with out coilovers. I am sorry but geting*the Konig Rewind wheels in a 16X8 is not something that we are interested in doing.

Any ideas?

I guess, i think i will reply by suggesting a system where maybe they could put it in their online catalog as simply a possible buy. And when a certain number of people have agreed to pay make it official. But does anyone have anything to say about the spring thing. What offset would be needed to amke that 16X8 fit with stock springs and not stick out of the fenders, im under the impression it can be done. Or maybe they can simply have the version for coil overs and charge extra for people running stock springs and simply include a spacer for them.