HybridZ

Is the LS1 a SBC?

Is the LS1 still considered a SBC?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Is the LS1 still considered a SBC?

Well, if it's not a small block, then what is it? Seems that this is a more appropriate question, it certainly is not a big block and GM calls it new generation small block, so I guess that unless GM is a liar, then it is a small block.

But then again, maybe GM shrunk the big block, honey, I shrunk the big block and it'll fit in the honda now! I guess I'm just missing the value to hybridz with this entire poll and subject. Somebody steer me in the right direction.

Guest tony78_280z

If I were to put an Ls1 into a Z, would I use the same motor mounts and kits as commonly sold via JTR or MSA for the SBC hybridZ? If so, I say it's a a small block! :P

I think it is a technology arguement more than a SIZE arguement personally... The LS1 is a far superior powerplant in my opinion. If I could unload my new 383 stroker tomorrow without taking a beating, I'd replace it with... and LS#! Distributorless, almost 100 pounds lighter, better head design, much better combos for more reliable power!

So I agree with 9Kredline, and I agree with the other comments as well... Pretty much the LS# is all these things you guys mention... True contradiction in terminology!

I drove my Corvette all 3 days this week to my former employers office in Upper Marlboro Maryland from my residence in Fredericksburg Va. It was 84 miles each way. I knocked down 24mpg in stop and go traffic and the car ran flawless all day, and this is with modified heads and aftermarket cam, along with full length headers and 3 inch exhaust... I'd be ALL OVER this combo in a Zcar.

The LS# is the NEXT generation small block, which is why it is starting to show up in more platforms.

Mike

• Administrators

Lets put this one to rest.

9Kredline has brought up some concrete evidence to prove his point and others are agreeing 100% with that.

The rest of the bunch believes that it should still be called a small block due to whatever reasoning they feel.

I propose that we all agree to disagree to either call it, or not call it a small block Chevy. Lets just respect each others opinions on what it should or should not be called and being as no one is calling it turd, everyone agrees that the new Gen III power plants from GM has many enhancements over the traditional Small Block which makes it one of, if not, the best yet conversion power plant for lots of vehicles with its great power to weight ratio, broad flat torque curve, drivability, reliability, etc, ……… then its all good, right? LOL

Now let’s get back to our regularly scheduled tech forum and build/drive our Hybrid Z’s and share our experiences here on the Hybrid Forum so that others may benefit or expand upon our ideas and experiences…

BRAAP……. OUT!