HybridZ

Hatch are panel RUST

jaime240z

Now I know why these pieces are being reproduced for early Z cars. I removed the panel around the hatch area latch and found alot of rust under there.

Has anyone alse bought one of the repair panels from MSA or zedfindings?

large307291.jpg

Just curious how they are welded in? My old one is already removed and I plan on sandblasting the area, repairing any rust damage and using por-15.

I tacked along the area where the gasket covers it. Along the ends I also place small tack welds near where the factory welds were. If I had it to do over again, I would have drilled holes and tacked that way. It would have looked alot neater that way.

ur lucky the rust didnt get through that piece... on my right side the rust went through and at the very corners where the plate doesnt cover the metal under neath. so i gotta cut that whole chunk of body out and fab new stuff >=( luckily the left side is mint :D

HatchRust.jpg

Theres mine. Rusted all the way through. You can see where I've cut it so far. I cant get my grinder in to finish the cuts, lol, wont fit. Gonna have to wait till I get my air compressor and a cutoff wheel.

The rust actually extends down into the light mount area below - which really sucks. Kind of canceled my idea to get the patch panel. I'm just gonna do some boneyarding and find a rust-free peice (or atleast a peice thats rust repairable, lol) and weld it in place of the other one. That way I can get the lower area replaced as well.