HybridZ

New area for rust concerns...

Mikelly

This morning I found some rust around the filler neck box on the inside of the fender well on the right rear quarter. This is a particular concern because it isn't very easy to get to and requires removal of the box, and likely deformation of the quarter panel in the process... don't ask how I know! :shock:

For me, it wasn't a big deal, since I welded the door closed after torching out the box frame work, and cutting in a new filler neck for my cell above it. I'll have pics up on my site later today.

What I found was that the seam sealer that nissan used to close the gaps around the spot welds actually allows moisture that collects behind the door to run down into the seam sealer and... Rust!

Just one more area I'd look at when searching for a new project candidate... Oh, and this new filler panel is gonna turn out nice I think! :2thumbs:

Mike :cool:

Guest JAMIE T

Looking GOOD there Mike! Can't wait to see it in person.

Stony, you should stick to the basics. You will still need a firewall between you and the fuel cell. I think .060" AL is good, but check the rule book. I don't know about road racing rules.

I wanted to be able to fuel the car quickly and efficiently from the outside of the car. After seeing how Jim M.s filler neck mod was made to use the factory filler, and how slow it is to fill the car up, I decided to ditch the stock door all together.

I don't like the idea of filling the car from the rear hatch. I'm also pretty sure that NHRA and IHRA would still want a lid surrounding the rear top of the fuel cell. I'm still gonna have to build a cage around my cell to protect it and me from backing the car into a tire wall or armco.

Mike