HybridZ

ebay: OLDS JETFIRE TURBO ALUMINUM V8 BUICK 215 MG

DavD3

Take a look on this item, maybe someone is interesting in this engine for swap. Maybe with turbo it will have clearance issues,but it would be a fun project as a n/a .What do you guys think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/62-63-OLDS-JETFIRE-TURBO-ALUMINUM-V8-BUICK-F85-215-MG_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQitemZ8009034502QQrdZ1

I had a 1963 215 in my 510 for many years.

520667_1_full.jpg

Non turbo rated at 185HP. The 215 turbo motor was the first production motor to make 1 hp per cubic inch. No big deal today but big news in 1963.

I wouldn't recommend that motor for a Z. The turbo parts are unobtanium and even though it is an all aluminum engine there are much better choices today. LS1 for example.

If you really want to go with that 40 year old boat anchor (actually too light to be a boat anchor) send me a PM and I can hook you up with the 215 Guru and show you how you can build a 300CI version of that motor.

I prefer modern technology.

I had the NA version in a dune buggy. I think ou can still get block kits, but finding other parts isn't that easy. I have to agree with Quik240z this is not a must have. I never had any problems with mine, back in the '80's I put a mild cam, did some port work and just basically rebuilt it. Worked good for me for a number of years.

Guest DoTheDrew888

Originally posted by qwik240z:

The 215 turbo motor was the first production motor to make 1 hp per cubic inch. No big deal today but big news in 1963.

I thought the 409ci was the first engine to make 1HP per CI. It was in the 1962 Impala so I think it has the Olds 215ci beat by a year.

Yep, basically you can get stock parts farily easily but they are to be bought as Rover parts. (this engine is the SBC of the UK) Threre are performance parts out there as well, but I've only seen one source as of yet. This was my original choice of swap but the guy's here talked me out of it. I didn't even know there was a Turbo version. The worst thing is that this is in NE OKLA! I LIVE IN NE OKLA!!! Argh.. Just for grins, this buick going to bolt up to engine mounts and trans like a SBC? Just asking...