HybridZ

Importing HS130 from US to AU

260DET

A two seat slick top 280ZX. None in Australia, what would one with a sound body but maybe a bit rough otherwise cost in the US? For a engine change semi race car project.

Just want an idea of what one would cost and perhaps the best way to buy one. And if anyone in the US does this sort off thing, up to getting the car to the shipping point.

Guest Speedyblue

From what I have found it will cost $2500 to get it back from the US, landed on the Gold Coast. The price is all inclusive. So factor in that as well.

Guest Speedyblue

Actually I just read the email they sent my father. $2500 covers all the US end and shipping, then it's another $700 for the customs clearance and all that over this end, and they will ship to the Brissie port. I'm actually going to the US in 3 weeks and my father and I intend to bring a back a car each, but until then I can't recommend anyone. By Mid January I will be able to tell you how I fared.

I canl forward you the email if you want. It gives a lot of info of what's required.

Are you sure you can import it? I had a couple boys from Oz here looking at the Rusty Old Datsun and after some research they were convinced that they would not be able to get the car out of customs once it landed in Australia. That was a 1970 240Z...

Guest Speedyblue

Since the 2 seater 280zx was never sold in OZ, there shouldn't be any problems bring one over. The LHD to RHD conversion required for registration would be a pain though. It's older that 1988 too, so the new changes to import rules shouldn't affect it too much either, but if in doubt, a call to the right government department should clear up any queries.

240Z prices are higher in the US than here, so with the added 3 grand plus for shipping, I don't know how it could be benificial to import one from the US.

As SB says, the AU import rules were changed recently, generally more restrictive now. But pre 1989 cars can be imported, basically as of right although written permission is still required. Done all the AU end research on that, maybe should set up as a car import consultant.

And of course a 280ZX would have to changed to right hand drive to be registered for road use. Which is a PITA but bugger it, I want one :) Well, its either that or bad women :D

• 2 weeks later...