HybridZ

NASA event, wreck, fence post through car...

preith

My guess is the rear tie rod or one of the ball joints let loose. The driver claimed that something snapped. There is discussion on other boards and it appears the car was in good shape and had just been through a little R&R.

I've asked for a clip of the incar from the car behind Dale, so I can take a peek at it to see what exactly happened.

There was also an event at VIR this past weekend where a number of cars were destroyed. HPDEs and lapping days can get expensive...

Mike

There was also an event at VIR this past weekend where a number of cars were destroyed. HPDEs and lapping days can get expensive...

Mike

That was the fall fling put on by synergy racing. I was supposed to be ther but no car right now. Couple of buddies went and said it was carnage. One friend was involved in a spin that put his red M3 in to a well prepared 911. Both hit oil put down by the car infront of them. Damage was minimal to both cars. There were some injuries at that event. Scary.

Yup. Apparently there was an Audi that lost its brakes at the end of the front straight before T1 and head on'ed into a tree... Lots of pics and some video over at Corvetteforum in the road race section.

The guy who bought my Z06 road race wheels and hoosier tires spun at the same location I did in June (T10) and met the tire wall... He has incar footage of it...

This is the exact reason I'll have my track car done before I go back. It just doesn't make sense to track a high dollar street car. The cost is much to high, and the lack of safety gear is most concerning.

Mike

You know, the main reason cops want people to race at tracks isn't because tracks are safe, but rather there will be help at tracks when something DOES happen. On the street a small wreak can mean death because you didn't reach medical help in time.

Things like this show that much can still happen at a track. It's a good thing they keep regulations as tight as they do.

That said, I can't imagine anything like that happening at infineon. Just dirt and cement barriers.

Well the difference there is that Infenion just had a ton of money dumped into it, and it is still a dangerous track... Anytime you've got concrete walls where you're hitting in excess of 100MPH, that's a sure sign something bad can and will happen.

The track the incident happened at is an older course. Lots of them around the country could use improvement to current safety standards.

Also, something you may not be aware of is if there is a fatality at a track, an investigation is still required. Cops could care less if people go to the track or not. They just want you to obey the limits when on the street. Chat with an officer sometime about the mods to your car for track duty and he'll tell you that you're just stacking the odds in your favor on the street, and now you've added a bullseye as well... Once in a while I cross paths with a cop who is a real car guy and just wants to shoot the breeze about the car... But that is growing more and more rare.

Mike :cool:

If you really think about it' date=' impaling is the one thing all race cars do not protect against.

More of a track safety issue IMO. That's why dragstrips typically use concrete barrier walls instead of fences.[/quote']

This is a track which the SCCA does not race at because of safety reasons. Most high profile road racing tracks are lined with concrete barriers, and if there is steel armco, they're in the process of phasing it out. Aside from catch fences on top of the concret barriers, I've never been to a road course which uses fences soley for containing the cars.