HybridZ

280ZX Gears... High Speed Fuel Efficiency

bluesinged

On the way home in my 280ZXT, I often hit speeds around 80-90mph because no one else is on the roads around where i drive and who wants to be on an empy road for an hour doing 50mph... thats just boring. The drive is around 25 miles and wastes a ton of as because on stock gears 85mph is roughly in the range of 3200-3500rpm... I'd love some recommendations as to what gears i might be able to replace mine with as I start building my new one... stock gears just anger me now... gas prices own me =( (a friend of mine suggested 84 300ZX gears... i dont know if this is possible or how much it would cost, but i'm interested into looking at that option if the gears are set to handle higher speeds @ lower rpms...)

Oh, it's a manual transmisson 1981 280ZX with a cross between an N/A motor and Turbo top end that i need the gears for... if that makes a difference.

-JC

The rear diff i have on the Z I'm currently driving is a 1983 280ZX Turbo... THAT is the one thats reving up so high in 5th... i was thinking of getting gears or really anything for decent mileage while highway cruising. Is it possible to just swap out 5th so i can keep my low gear acceleration?

Well then, you just cut your options to almost zero... I doubt you'll find the 3:36 R200 diff, so your only hope is the trans you have is the 79-82 nissan 5 spd (IIRC), that way you can get the 82-83 nissan 5 spd which has a better freeway 5th gear.

The rear diff i have on the Z I'm currently driving is a 1983 280ZX Turbo... THAT is the one thats reving up so high in 5th... i was thinking of getting gears or really anything for decent mileage while highway cruising. Is it possible to just swap out 5th so i can keep my low gear acceleration?