HybridZ

My first time ever at a track...

280zwitha383

Last night for the first time in my life I went to a track and I had a blast. "The Piece" as my car is so affectionately named ran a best 1/8th mile at 8.23&88mph. My first two runs were horrible, I didn't spin all the water off of the tires I guess and I ran two mid 9's. After looking at everyone else 60' times in the timeslips database, I realize that I'm losing a lot of time here also because my best was 2.0040 and my average is somewhere around 2.3. I'm still running some little 195/70/14 walmart tires in the back so hopefully that's a lot of it. Everyone says I was peeling most of the track which was fine. I didn't want to get any bigger tires my first time so I wouldn't have to worry so much about breaking anything. All but one of my runs I had a passenger and all of them I had my spare tire and rather large speaker box in the back. I thought that I should have been in the 90mph range and most of my runs I came in at 86mph. Anyway, does an 1/8th in 8.23 and 88mph sound right for an engine with maybe 450hp/450tq on stock tires and suspension in a 280zx? Any ideas what I could expect with some better tires? One thing I do know is that my timing was somewhere around 50* total advance :eek: and I tried unhooking the vacuum advance but it didn't really help my times. I'm not familiar at all with times and mph so any advice would be great. Thanks.

Guest bastaad525

I know your pain dude I run the exact same size crappy tires on stock ZX wheels... dynoed 303 ftlbs of torque to the wheels at 3000rpm... lots of fun trying to put that down thru crappy $25 195 width all season radials, with an open LSD to boot!

Havent been to the track but I did try a Gtech pro SS, magazines have shown them being pretty accurate... I was averaging 2.5 - 2.7 second 60' times, spinning the tire so bad I get nearly sideways.

Fun - yes :D

Fast - no!

yeah, I got sideways halfway down the track a few times. The stupid fee to run your car at the track is $20!!! Which is why I might not be going out there again anytime soon. Maybe once I get some better tires and my timing fixed and maybe they go down on the price I'll go out there again and see what it does. I guess as long as people pay that much they'll keep charging. This town is full of rich people and it's a brand new track so I won't keep my fingers crossed.

Guest bastaad525

that sucks... $20 for a 1/8th mile track??? 1/4 mile tracks around here are $10-15. But yeah... you gotta pay to play. It sucks around here because there are so many guys who think they're fast ;) littering up the track so it's usually pretty crowded and you're lucky to get 3-4 runs in.

About the traction... it is kinda silly to even attempt running that much power thru 195's... but I'm trying to keep that sleeper look. My wheels are stock 280zx wheels, totally fit with the whole sleeper purpose of the thing. If I throw some fatty wheels and tires on there people might know somethings up :P

About the traction... it is kinda silly to even attempt running that much power thru 195's... but I'm trying to keep that sleeper look. My wheels are stock 280zx wheels, totally fit with the whole sleeper purpose of the thing. If I throw some fatty wheels and tires on there people might know somethings up :P

You can run some 215 halfway decent tire compound tires on the stock 280zx wheels. Even 225 on some of them. On the turbo rims you can run 235/60 bfgoodrich drag radials.

Guest bastaad525
Bastaad: open LSD.....isn't that kind of an oxymoron? :)

JT

oops ;)

Thumper - yeah I know I coulda fit 215's on there but when I bought them I REALLY BADLY needed tires the other ones were showing cords, and I was VERY broke. For whatever reason the 195's were on sale for like $25 each, I actually had wanted 205's because that's what I had originally and had always had on my ZX, but they were at least $20 more, each, if I remember right.

But yeah... if I end up never getting a buyer for my car, I'm going to put 215's on there soon, the 195's are just about at the end of their run.

Not gonna put anything sticky on there though, just the cheapest, longest wear rated, all season radials I can get. I don't race enough for traction to really matter that much.

I got tired of the tire ripoff, finally got myself a dealer account, I bought a set of four 205/75/15's for $132 out the door. My 11-24.5 truck tires are $200 vs. $300-$400 elsewhere, My big equipment tires are $500 compared to $1000-$1200. $20 more for 205's over 195's simply a rip off. I can get General, BFG's, Michelin's, Pirelli's, Continentals, etc. for cost. You guys ought to think about doing the same wherever your at. It's simple, get a business license, go get an account, start saving some $$$ and making a few $$ off your friends, while they save some $$$ too. I got a whole set of 4 195/14's for my moms minivan for $76 out the door. My supplier regularly has sales, 235/75/15 General AS radials, $20 each last months special.

Sorry to hijack the thread, just you guys need to know the truth about tires and tire prices.

Also, there are a few reasons I run those tires still. The biggest being I am scared of the rearend. I have a different diff. and some 280zxt CV axles and I should really stop being a pony and throw the bigger tires on there and if it breaks then fix it. I'm also kind of tired of throwing money into this thing. I go through thoughts like that and eventually I will get the fever again and get it done but I don't see it happening for atlease a few months. :sigh:

Yea, I run 215's on my stock ZX wheels. Grips SO much more than the previous tires (wich had been run flat so the sidewalls were destroyed). Got all 4 put on balanced and alaigned for $205 if I remember correctly. Previous tires could spin 2nd a bit and sometimes get 3rd to chirp a tiny bit. These new ones I can't get to make any noise in 2nd (might have to do with really soft clutch and tranny that doesn't like to shift at high RPM).