HybridZ

Mustache Bars: R180 vs R200... simple as a flip?

Guest 73Turbo240z

Guest 73Turbo240z

r180vsr2003yh.th.jpg

i pose the illustration below, the top image, my 73' nearing completion, though currently still stuck w/ a R180 since i've yet to find someone who's not selling a R200 mustache bar for gold.

the lower image, the R200 rear diff setup from my 78'...

now to me it's looking as simple as rotating the differential mustache bar 180 degrees, putting it outside of the rear sway bar mounting plates as opposed to the R180's inside placement setup.

bolt width on the rear of the diff's looks about the same (i lack nice precise measuring calipers)... i'm pretty sure i'm not the 1st to look and see this, but my search yieled nothing but horsepower/torque discussions for R180's... so here i am, asking... any reason i can't just rotate my R180's mustache bar 180 degrees and then bolt up the R200 differential w/ it's R200 stub axles?

I think the bend from front to back is different on the 2 bars. I've used the R180 bar as you described but I think I had a hard time findiing a drive shaft the correct length. It was about 15 years ago so my memory is somewhat suspect on this.

Try it and see how the driveshaft lines up. You will have to enlarge the holes and the metal is hardened and very tough to drill.

Guest 73Turbo240z
junk yard is your best bet. It's a lot easier in the long run to use the correct part

i hear ya, i'd rather have the right part from the get go, just having a helluva time sourcing one.

I had the same idea when I swapped R180 to R200. The R200 bar is much heavier and has the larger bolt holes. I talked talked to the guy in the yard about drilling out the R180 bar. He showed me a pile of drilled R180 bars guys had returned for the correct R200 bar. They were all cracked.

MSA will sell used Z parts. Might try them.

Another option is the billet one from Arizona Z car. Nice piece, but does cost some $$$.

I am the one selling the Mbar on Zcar. I have not posted it here yet because I want to post a picture of it. The price may seam high but what it is posted at does not mean it will sell at that price. I have never bought something used without haggeling over the price and assumed that people would do the same with me.