HybridZ

Thoughts on these coilovers

once again the correct terms are:

in-lb

ft-lb

I may have been wrong about how springs are rated / reported but I am confident in the abreviations. :-D

No No No.

I see in your profile, you are an engineer also. We didn't spend all that time and money getting BS*E's to go around using the wrong abbreviations. Since you won't believe me, I offer the Society of Automotive Engineering to back my claim.

See the SAE publication below and search on spring rate, linear. lbf/in or N/mm is correct.

http://www.sae.org/standardsdev/tsb/tsb003.pdf

You misunderstand. My listings are for torque - which I work with and understand.

I have already admitted that I don't know about spring rates and was incorrect with my first post.

My Understanding of how springs are rated has improved through this post string actually.

So for the record I agree with you, however the abv's I listed for torque I believe to be correct. If I am wrong about that as well and you have some documantation carrying the same weight as the previous attachment I would welcome it.

Thanks,

Rufus

Looks like some bizarre method to obtain varable rate coil over springs with 2 springs and soMe sort of spacer without an adjustiong nut... You can buy variable rate coilovers from Q A1 in a single spring but this set-up is not "race" and variable rate coilovers may become "squirrely" under hard use which I suspect these are capable of. .......................................................................................................... ................................****My variable rate 12 inch springs & KYB strut cartridges for 2 inch sectioned struts. The longer stroke strut cartridges with shorter tubes are VW Rabbit and the shorter stroke strut cartridges and the longer tubes are 280 Z fronts.....should use VW Rabbit struts for front and rear because they have a longer stroke. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/larryjohnson97438/detail?.dir=8223&.dnm=fadd.jpg&.src=ph

Beat that dead horsey.....maybe it'll move....

First off...I am sure they quoted the spring rates for a fairly heavy modern "Ricer" mobile....They just threw 240Z in the description to get our attention...of course the person who runs their marketing department would chuckle at the stir this has caused among you guys....

I am sure that they can provide correct spring rates for our lightweight cars....

A problem I see right off... the more pieces there are in your coilover set up.... The more cussing and bitching you are gonna do whenever you jack up the car.... It looks like you will constantly be popping and banging with more pieces to get caught up an misaligned when you try to set the car back down on it's wheels.

Another problem comes from the fact that with the extra spacer in there... your stack height will increase.... you may have trouble fitting those 10" wheels under there and have enough clearance to the inside section of the tire.

A lot of guys use extremely short rear springs and threaded tubes to keep the spring and lower seat higher than the widest section of the tire.... adding all those parts will increase your stack height and interfere with wide tires and wheels.

There have been spring systems like this in the past....Many of them used a short thin guage coil at the top that would compress to coil binding under the normal weight of the car....this thin weak coil was only there to keep tension on the various parts when the car got light over a hill....it sort of addressed the need for a limiting strap and zip ties to keep your coilovers seated on their perches...when you went for big air over a steep hill.... How many of us here have ever seen "big air" in our 240Zs.

Yes, they are steel and very expensive. If you put aluminum ones back there, they will just be obliterated. The limiter strap isn't really a big deal. Off road race trucks have them. I just ran a cable through the center of the spring since there are already holes in the arm and chassis to do it. Some guys secure a piece of pipe through the upper mount to keep the spring there. I think lot's of guys get scared off from doing drastic suspension mods to their Z31's because the design of the car forces you to do this, and that's sad.