HybridZ

Has anyone seen or heard live an sr20det with the toda racing stroker kit

jl87ma

I will be swapping an sr20det into my 72 240Z but before i do i want to build the engine from the ground up. I want it to be a high reving engine and it will be for street use. I was looking into the Toda racing kit.

Please enlighten my young mind with your advice thanks.

stroking it doesnt mean it will rev any higher..

Toda Parts are VERYYYYY pricey (well i guess curten parts are) but they are good parts. if i was gonna do a stroked SR i would do the JUN package.

mike

I'm not gonna say don't stroke it, but stroking a motor have have a big effect on how a motor revs. For example, B16 vs B18. Identical motors, but the B16 revs INSANELLY fast and smooth. The 1.8 increase in displacement even though has more power, doesn't rev as nice. Now, just boring has a much smaller effect on rev ability than stroking.

SR240 had good advice. Forged rods will widthstand the higher revs safely, forged pistons are a must for anything serious (talking out my a$$, i just like to be safe personally), and most of rev ability lies in the head. That's where you spend your bankroll. I don't know a ton about SR motors so I don't know what's easily avaible at that point, so this is where I shut up. There are plenty of people here that know thier fair share about SR motors.

Although it does add displacement, stroking an engine actually decreases potential RPM capability. The key factor is "piston speed" at a given RPM. The faster the piston travels at any RPM, the faster the rings and bearings, etc, will wear out.

Example: an engine with a 3" stroke. The piston will move 6" for every revolution (up and down 3"), which means at 5000 revolutions per minute (RPM) the piston is traveling 30000" per minute, or 2500 feet per minute (FPM). Suppose you increase the stroke to 3.5". Now with the same engine at 5000 RPM the piston speed becomes 2916 FPM, which is about 17% faster piston speed AT THE SAME RPM. This means everything is under more load at any givin RPM, which means the potential to rev has been decreased, or the engine life will be shorter.

In some cases you won't rev the engine very high, so the added displacement from stroking the engine is more beneficial for making power (such as a big V8 with a 6000 RPM redline). If you want more displacement AND more revs without shortening engine life, then boring is the way to go. But I guess there's not many boring options for the SR20DET, so I guess I would say either rev it or stroke it, but not both if you want it to live.

Hope this helps :D

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

THERE IS A HALF TRUTH TO STROKING DECREASES MAXIMUM REVS. THIS IS NOT TRUE IF YOU KEEP THE SAME ROD TO STROKE RATIO OR INCREASE IT.

A ENGINE WITH A 3" STROKE AND A 1.4 ROD/STROKE RATIO WILL HAVE A LOWER REV LIMIT THAN A ENGINE WITH A 4" STROKE AND A 1.9 ROD/STROKE RATIO. LENGTHENING THE ROD WILL SLOW A PISTON DOWN THIS IS COMMONLY USED TO COUNTER ACT THE EFFECTS OF INCREASING STROKE.

http://www.stahlheaders.com/Lit_Rod%20Length.htm

Optimizing the rod/stroke ratio by lengthening the rods only slows the piston at the top of its travel. That means the PEAK speed the piston reaches will be less, but the AVERAGE speed remains the same. Because no matter what you do, the piston still must travel twice the stroke for each revolution. So hypothetically, you could counteract the wear of added stroke by optimizing the rod/stroke ratio. Unless you already HAD the optimum ratio, in which case you're screwed :D Also realize that the block has limited deck-height, so you can't always increase the rod length to match your new crank (even with short-skirt pistons). I'm not saying he should reduce the stroke on his SR20DET, just saying if he wants it to rev he should probably stay away from the stroker kits ;) Just my opinion.

just so we are on the same page when u guys say high rev what rpm range are you talking about? Also i want to shift at high rpm cause im just use to doing that but i dont want to loose engine life. Can u add some more advice on how can have the best of both worlds> which is high rpm shifting and long engine life.

sorry if my questions might be basic im new to the game. i really appreciate all your help

thanks

if you want a quick revving four from nissan, you might want to look at a CA. If I remember correctly, the CA is undersquare, and revs all to piss. The SR can rev damn well, but the CA can rev even better. Its kinda like the B18 vs. B16 discussion. The B18 can rev damn well, but nothing like the B16 can. There is an entire litany of pros and cons regarding the SR vs. CA debate, but one thing that almost everyone agrees on is that the CA is peakier and revs damn high, and the SR has a lil more grunt.

• 1 month later...