HybridZ

Z car newb here... Looking for some info.

Guest DriftingisLame

Guest DriftingisLame

Hey I am going to get a 1979 280ZX with a ton of extra's in exchange for my ninja (too rainy in oregon for a bike).

Anyway, I've been wanting to do another motorswap for some time now... Even though I *just* finished the rb20det into my 240sx. I'm thinking about just driving the stock l28 around for a while until I feel I know enough about the swap...

Got a couple of Q's

#1 Where do I get an LS1? Everywhere I know to get motors are all for JDM motors, and well.. you dont have to import an american motor lol.

#2 As far as I've read, no one makes an LS1 mount kit for the ZX, but there is a kit for an LT1?

#3 which motor would you suggest? I've done a few motor swaps, but to be honest, theres write ups all over the internet... I have a feeling a v8 Z wouldnt be so easy. I know my car wont be slow... But I'd like a mid 12 1/4 mile with a lot of room to improve. Also I'd like my car to retain its ability to handle well (in case theres a huge weight difference between the 2 motors)

#4 Wiring... my only weakness..... Go ahead, hit me with it.. Is the wiring going to kill me?

Thanks for any info you can provide, I apologize if these questions are repetative (in other posts)...

-Max

First off SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH.

1.) LS1 motors can be found on ebay or at local Junkyards. Came out of 1998-200(?) Camaros, Trans-Ams, or Vettes.

2.) Brokken Kitty makes one for the S30 chassis, and I don't think the 280ZX swap would be that hard to perform with a little modification.

3.) Best motor is personal choice, use, wallet size, and goals. Again search there is just about every motor combination imgagined on this site to be done with semi-reasonable budget. (i don't think we're building these cars because of our million dollar paychecks :) )

4.) Wiring depends on what motor you choose, a carbed SBC 350 will most likey be your easiest swap both cost wise and wiring wise.

I highly recommend searching a whole lot before posting, cause there is a whole wealth of good quality information on this website.

Tyson

I don't. That kind of message is just like "V8 sucks" or "Imports are gay." It's the kind of thing I would expect to see in other forums, but not this one.

I am not defending myself because I don't drift. However some other members here do. Putting a negative message into a username is a cheap shot because those who don't like the message can't do anything about it. The guy with the name can hide behind excuses like "well I didn't say anything, that's just my username." and get away with it.

Please keep this forum a considerate,civil place as it has always been.

Hey I am going to get a 1979 280ZX with a ton of extra's in exchange for my ninja (too rainy in oregon for a bike).

Anyway' date=' I've been wanting to do another motorswap for some time now... Even though I *just* finished the rb20det into my 240sx. I'm thinking about just driving the stock l28 around for a while until I feel I know enough about the swap...

Got a couple of Q's

#1 Where do I get an LS1? Everywhere I know to get motors are all for JDM motors, and well.. you dont have to import an american motor lol.

#2 As far as I've read, no one makes an LS1 mount kit for the ZX, but there is a kit for an LT1?

#3 which motor would you suggest? I've done a few motor swaps, but to be honest, theres write ups all over the internet... I have a feeling a v8 Z wouldnt be so easy. I know my car wont be slow... But I'd like a mid 12 1/4 mile with a lot of room to improve. Also I'd like my car to retain its ability to handle well (in case theres a huge weight difference between the 2 motors)

#4 Wiring... my only weakness..... Go ahead, hit me with it.. Is the wiring going to kill me?

Thanks for any info you can provide, I apologize if these questions are repetative (in other posts)...

-Max[/quote']

#1. Ebay, junkyards, newspaper, etc

#2. No LS1 kit but you can use the GEN 1 SBC kit for the LT1 because they still use the same mounts. www.zcarparts.com sells them. They arent cheap though for what you get. All they do is turn the chevy 3 bolt pattern into the Datsun 2 bolt pattern with the appropriate spacing. They would be very easy to make. I bought them because at the time I didnt have a welder. Now I have a nice welder and would never consider buying them now. I have pics on my website.

#3. If I did it over again I would go LS1 because its proven to be such a great motor with an awesome power band. No to mention you can get serious power out of them with just a cam! LT1 would be the next choice because of easy mounting with the kit mentioned above. The LT1 fits great with the low profile intake and they are much cheaper than the LS1. I would not go with a carb'd SBC because of possible hood clearance issues and I personally just dont like carb's.

#4. Get a Haynes manual and label everthing when you disconnect the old wiring from the L28. There are only a few wires that you will need from the old motor. If you go with aftermarket gauges like I did there are even less wires to worry about. For the harness for the engine you could get a painless harness or just use the factory harness and edit/delete out the stuff you dont need. Editing a harness is really not that hard, it just takes time. "Painless" harness are like $500-600. If you buy a engine/tranny combo it will usually come with the factory harness so you wont have to pay anything other than for a good service manual to edit the harness. I used "ALLDATA ONLINE" to edit mine. I found it very easy.

Guy

Guest DriftingisLame

Thanks a lot for the info! I'll keep searching and check out those sites. I guess I expected to buy a motor from a shop like I bought my rb20 from.. I didnt even think about going to a junkyard lol.

As for my name, i registered on another forum where everyone's name was "driftingSX" "s13DOrifto" "AE86Driftaaa". So I thought I'd speak my mind. Drifting is LAME seemed to fit. All of these guys were like 16 year olds that think its cool to go burnout around town. Personally thats offensive to ME. Therefor if they can offend me with doing their part endangering a neighborhood.. then I can be there to tell them this new "sport"/fad is lame. Oversteer is fun dont get me wrong, in a controlled environment... how many of these people do you think have EVER been to a controlled environment drift event? I'm not saying I've never done anything illegal... but damn, IMO street racing is 100x better/safer than drifting.

But i'm not here to argue about drifting.

Listen, I don't want to make a big deal out of this. But your name is more annoying than "AE86Driftaaa." It doesn't sound any better or mature.

I want to welcome you as much as anyone else here, but you gotta help me out. How did you find the atmosphere in this forum? Welcoming? Helpful? Civil? Perhaps it's your turn to return the favor and stop putting that sort of message in the name. If you put that sort of attack in a username, you'll be the first one and only one here.

If you have problem with those "driftaaa wannabes", give them your piece of mind in THAT forum, not telling us about it here.

Guest DriftingisLame

If you want a welcoming environment, then welcome me and look past my name.. especially after I validate it by giving you my point of veiw

I dont want it to be a big deal either, and I'm not making it one.

I found a mount kit for a "v8" ZX. I'm guessing that most chevy v8's share similar mounts judging by how specific they are about which v8 the mount kit is for. How different are these mounts as opposed to LS1 mounts? How hard would it be to modify them to fit an LS1?

Guest DriftingisLame

aww I feel so loved........

I'm thinking maybe I should go with an lt1 then. If its going to be a total pain to rig up the LS1 and make me go broke in the process, then I might as well stick with the LT1. I am however concerned about the difference in weight between the iron blocks and aluminum blocks.. any comments on the weight distribution of the 2 motors?

The Admin staff is discussing the name, and so far, none of the staff that have weighed in has an issue with the guy's handle... Suck it up and play nice guys.

In his opinan drifting is lame... To a lot of guys, this "sport" isn't really a sport, but more subjective... Kinda like a moving car show... I'll admit I know zero about this craze and don't care to...However, it appears to be catching on and isn't just a fad...

Mike

I have an LT1 in my 280ZX and I did not notice any handling difference after the swap. If anything it feels more planted to the ground. If you go with the GEN 1 SBC with iron heads, iron inktake, brass radiator, etc you will probably feel the difference. I have the LT1 with aluminum heads, intake, water pump, aluminum radiator and I actually think I probably lost some weight off the front end. I wont know for sure though because I didnt weigh it in before the swap. I didnt really care because I dont really intend to autocross it. I like drag racing so the handling aspect does really come into play.

If you got the cash go LS1 but the LT1 is still a great motor with a smaller price tag.

Guy