HybridZ

7 dyno pulls and 1/4 tank of gas later...

TimZ

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I remember right' date=' its a Spearco, right Tim?

haha, TimZ came out of left field....? He's been around here forever. You came along when? :redface:

Seriously though, TimZ is one of the monsters of rock we have on this site. I have received a heep of help from TimZ. He's the man.... :burnout:[/quote']

Thanks, Joel... How's your RB coming? I've been kind of expecting tuning questions, but haven't heard anything yet... :mrgreen:

The intercooler is a Cartech core, and I made the endtanks. I was looking at Spearcos but as I recall they didn't have exactly what I wanted (or something), and I ended up with the Cartech instead.

I can see how some of the newer guys would think I came out of nowhere - I've had alot of stuff (mostly good stuff) going on, and haven't had that much time to post lately.

The powder coat on the valve cover was called "city lights" as I recall. I got it done here.

If you call and ask for Joe, he should be able to verify - he'll remember me (Tim, the guy with the turbo 280Z). ;)

Guest z1 performance

well goddamn!!!!!!! Been away from the site for a long long time, but the results are simply amazing Tim...absolutely fantastic. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this is the year I can finally get all the accessory stuff done on my own car and lay the smack down like this car did :) If you ever get to NY, would love to have you do some tuning for me on my TEC :)

BTW, any more pics/specs on what you used for the cooling system? I am currently on a stock radiator, and electric fan, but noticed cooling issues when in traffic this past summer....seems my IC blocks too much of my radiator and the single fan just aint cutting it.

thanks

Congrats

...The powder coat on the valve cover was called "city lights" as I recall. I got it done here.

If you call and ask for Joe' date=' he should be able to verify - he'll remember me (Tim, the guy with the turbo 280Z). ;)[/quote']

Thanks alot Tim, i'm in New Zealand unfortuanly it may be a wee bit pricey to call but i'll definately flick them an email. Have you got any more photos Tim? Like before shots?

I would not recommend doing business on any level with SFP. The header I bought from them was garbage from the get go and they never would make it right. Ended up getting a $1000 store credit after going round and round with frank a few times and him refusing to give me a refund on it. They are such a hassle to deal with that I still haven't redeemed all of my credit.

Sorry for the rant.

JT

Did JeffP put in his .02 on this matter? I don't think he will apologize for a rant on that subject! LOL

I don't think those good ole boys there understood the concept of "Stress Relief" at all. There are some things you can do to their design to make it work, but for the effort, you may as well do the whole thing yourself!

Thanks' date=' guys. So many questions...

The manifold is a Mikuni piece that was intended for their triple setup. Many of you will note that the Cannon manifold (or similar) is usually considered more desireable, due to its straighter runners. I chose the Mikuni piece simply because it gets the TBs up higher, leaving more clearance for the turbo. BTW, the head flow numbers I quoted before were taken with the manifold, TBs and velocity stacks in place, so I don't think it's hurting me too much.[/quote']

I would contend you have the superior piece of the two. The Cannon and TWM manifold,s while "appearing" straighter, really ARE NOT!

When you section a ported head, especially one that has REALLY been reworked for horsepower and had the ports raised and the floors of the stock intake pocket filled, the Mikuini manifold gives a FAR straighter shot straight down the port to the back of the valve. The port coming away from the head of the intake valve at roughly a 35/40 degree angle, while the Cannon and TWM manifolds are almost 90 degrees to the back of the valve.

For a head that has not been ported that much, it really won't make that much of a difference, but if you have the manifold and head ported together, the Mikuini Manifold with it's THICK walls and 'staggered' inlet and outlet are really a very short, direct, straight shot to the back of the valve. If you are using 45mm ITB's and have the manifold ported to match, it's even straighter.

It was not uncommon on radically ported cars in Japan to have a lot of welding done to the manifolds because of the casting in the Cannon-Style Manifolds being too thin after matching to support much of anything. The Mikuini is rarely welded.

Nah, I think you got the best manifold on there, Tim! Same one I have BTW.

But I hold no bias because of that...at all....LOL ;^)

I would contend you have the superior piece of the two. The Cannon and TWM manifold,s while "appearing" straighter, really ARE NOT!

Cool - that's realy good to hear - at least now I don't have to feel like I ought to figure out how to make the Cannon piece work. :-D

Nah, I think you got the best manifold on there, Tim! Same one I have BTW.

But I hold no bias because of that...at all....LOL ;^)

...me niether. ;)

Thanks, Tony

Good numbers Tim, I want to commend you on a job well done. So how does the car feel? How is the tranny and clutch holding up? half shafts and the like, or were you the one that went with the R230? Hell I cant remember now it has been so long.

I tried to get my car tuned, but it did not work out the way I wanted it to, had some very uncommon problems with the car, oh well I got my stuff together now, I just have to wait to have it tuned again. Everything was looking good @ *psi on pump gas, but it misfired @ 5K oh well it's almost there. I was just glad to get the car out of the garage again, it was a year again this time.

Dema did your cam, I had them do a cam for me as well. Good grind, but I was able to see some grinding errors from the grinder. I am running an ISKY part now and it appears to be a good setup. I will get the car done here in a few days, it's just been a little busy here, and man I feel like crap right now, really takes away from motivation after a full days work.

Anyway, glad to see those numbers, I think you can get more then that, the question then AGAIN becomes, can the rest of the car and drive train handle the power? I noticed a very significant change in the requirements to push the rest of the car any further. Anyway, you should have some good fun drives.

tim ,, i've been stearing for ten minutes now and i still cant figure out what those six fuel or nitrios looking lines with the blue an fittings that go from your intake manifold to just after your injectors into the head,

Those are a second manifold vacuum summing network - the tubes feed a balance pipe that was integrated into the plenum. This secondary vacuum source is used to feed things like the brake booster and other vacuum accessories, and for the idle controller. I wanted these on an independent line, so that they wouldn't have undue infuence on the vacuum signals that determine the fuel delivery, like the MAP and the FPR reference.

Good numbers Tim, I want to commend you on a job well done. So how does the car feel? How is the tranny and clutch holding up? half shafts and the like, or were you the one that went with the R230? Hell I cant remember now it has been so long.

Thanks, Jeff. The clutch and trans (gForce T5) are holding up fine, so far. And yes, I did go to an r230.

As far as how the car feels, it's noticeably lazier off boost, but it pulls really hard all the way to ~7000rpm. I did some playing around with driveability tuning, and it's really made a big difference. Also, as mentioned before, I'm really thinking that this cam just doesn't like backpressure at all, so the addition of the GT42R might actually help out quite a bit (crossing fingers).

Anyway, glad to see those numbers, I think you can get more then that, the question then AGAIN becomes, can the rest of the car and drive train handle the power? I noticed a very significant change in the requirements to push the rest of the car any further. Anyway, you should have some good fun drives.

...all too aware of this factor. At this point, everything out to the wheel ends has been upgraded, so hopefully things will hold together. We'll see...