HybridZ

running a V8 as a daily driver...

Hi,

I read about a lot of guys with V8 Zs in various states of rebuild, repair, whatever and I'm wondering if anyone has run one as a daily driver for an extended period of time. And if so how reliable etc etc, I have just bought a 350/TH350 and have plans to get it to the point of reliability that I can get in it and go without wondering if it'll get me there and back. Any thoughts??

David

The TH350 tranny is really not the best choice for a daily driver, due to it only being a 3 speed with no overdrive. The 700R4 or 200R4 are better choices for automatic trannys.

Reliablity depends on the build. Usually the more power you make the less reliable it gets. A mild 350 will be very reliable if properly built.

Guy

80LT1 is correct,

a Z car normally came with a somewhat deep rear gear ratio and smallish diameter tires which make it seem even more deep geared.

A 200-4R makes a nice transplant candidate due to smaller size and not quite so deep 1st gear ratio.

The 700 will also work fine, but the 1st gear will be really steep with the normal rear ratios, the lightweight Z car will be hard to hook up from a standing start.

The best addition to make one of these cars a daily driver will be an overdrive trans IMO.

Good luck.

I agree with the TH350 and plan to change it to a 5 speed, probably a rebuilt supra box as they're plentiful here (I've been quoted A$950) & will probably cope with about 220hp at the wheels. the 350 sbc has Brodix track 1 aluminium heads, weiand manifold with projection4 TBI (?) and custom headers and has about 1000 miles on it. Anything else I should watch for???

Mine's been around over 10 years. I'm the second owner and have had it a few years driving it 3-4 days a week. I worked on the engine, trans, brake, and suspension installations for the original owner when he was a customer at Dando's. Maintenance isn't a problem on the hybrid; its the adding or changing things around (like putting in a diff mount support brace) that take the time. Mine drives quite well with the 700R4 once I got it adjusted properly. AC is next.

I've been using mine for the daily commute on-and-off for a couple of years now. Down-time is mostly for improvement procedures, 'cause I'm quicker at repairing things than modifying/installing things (I kind of like to "linger" over them, sit and stare at stuff for long periods of time, go in and check my reference books and the web for examples, things like that). That said, I've been through 3 trannys and 2 engines, most of that in the first year. Currently it's down due to the installation of a new intake and ECM.

When I'm driving around, I'm always thinking about things I need to improve or change, or ways I can make it more contemporary. It can be distracting. And of course, whenever you drive a vehicle you've worked on, you tend to be hypersensitive to any little noise or bump or creak: though I have a fairly decent audio system installed, I seldom use it 'cause I'm listening for bad mechanical sounds.

That said, there's no feeling like driving around something almost entirely your creation: I've never gotten a big grin and thumbs-up in the Dodge.

I had an old camaro with a 350/350 combo with 3.73 gears for a few years going through college and the only problem I ever had was the alternator going out. I did have the trans rebuilt but you could tell it was slipping for quite some time. Of course, my daily commute was only 5 miles.

Everybody has their opinion of what a daily driver is. Creature comforts like aircondtioning can be a big deal if you live somewhere like Phoenix arizona where you can fry eggs on the sidewalk during summer.

To me, fuel injection is more important than that extra gear on the transmission. I hate having to wait for the car to warm up like with a carburetor.

You should let the car warm up regardless of how well it runs when it's cold. When you start going immediately after you start it on, the clearances in the engine are looser and therefore wear much more quickly on everything.

With that said, an overdrive is very close to a must in my mind for a daily driver unless you have atleast 3.54 gear because a V8 turning that many rpms is just busy sounding. It is however very responsive :) My truck has a 350350th with 3.73 gears and stock size tires and it is slightly busy sounding on the highway and of course the gas mileage is horrible. Anyway, I figure that with the small diameter of the tires on a Z and the 3.54 gear it would be similar in rpms to my truck which is bearable but not ideal.

It is actually bad to let carburated vehicles warm up by idling. Carbs do a very poor job of metering gas when cold. You end up with unburned gas washing by the cold, unsealed rings and polluting the oil. The engine will warm up and get off the choke much faster if you get them moving right away. Just take it easy until the car warms up.

Fuel injected vehicles don't have the same problem.

At least that is what I learned reading Click and Clack. Sounds reasonable to me.

Back on topic, look up Phantom's posts. He probably has the most miles on a daily drivin LS1 engine. Chances are youl will have more problems with the 30 year old chassis and eletrical system than a late model V8.

It is actually bad to let carburated vehicles warm up by idling. Carbs do a very poor job of metering gas when cold. You end up with unburned gas washing by the cold' date=' unsealed rings and polluting the oil. The engine will warm up and get off the choke much faster if you get them moving right away. Just take it easy until the car warms up.

Fuel injected vehicles don't have the same problem.

At least that is what I learned reading Click and Clack. Sounds reasonable to me.

Back on topic, look up Phantom's posts. He probably has the most miles on a daily drivin LS1 engine. Chances are youl will have more problems with the 30 year old chassis and eletrical system than a late model V8.[/quote']

Even if the engine sets into fast idle...?

I drive a 74 with a 305/350TH/3.36 as my daily driver. I blew it up, but it was my fault not the tranny's I would have just been going faster with a O.D., but where I live the nearest freeway is 75 miles away. 63 is the normal speed, and it does that easy enough and it leaves lots of throttle and will pull to a buck+ just fine.

The 30 year old car definitely has more problems than the drivetrain.

I live in a cool climate and don't have the choke hooked up. It started every time. I just had to play the pedal a little to get it moving.

So I would say get it going and start upgrading as needed.

From what I see Any combo is a blast.

Seeing as the question said V8 and not neccesarily Z car, I'll throw in my V8 rx7 as good/reliable daily transport. And also another vote for the 700r4 tranny. A bit high reving on the highway in the RX7, but that's mostly due to the 3:90 rear... and smallish rear tires (205/55/16). For now, I'm running a bone stock TBI 350 and although it's not the best performance choice, it is simple and reliable. Also quite easy to find parts at reasonable prices.

I drove it 4-5 days a week for over a month this past summer (had temorary trip permits so when the last one ran out, I just parked it) and had only minor issues, but it WAS a 'freshly' built car, some issues always crop up during the first few drives. (rad leaks, wiring glitches, ect) The last week I was driving it, it was just like 'any old car' to me. Get in, fire it up, and go.

DJC2004' date='

i live in sydney and im having trouble looking for chevrolet crate engines, where did you get yours from. Or are there any places on the net that ship to australia. Thanks heaps[/quote']

you might try here but I suspect there'll be others in Sydney, mine was rebuilt and wasn't a crate engine as such

http://www.enginecentre.com.au/

regards

David

You should[/i'] let the car warm up regardless of how well it runs when it's cold. When you start going immediately after you start it on, the clearances in the engine are looser and therefore wear much more quickly on everything.

Urban legend. That's what multi-weight oil is for too.

Now I personally wouldn't floor it until it was warmed up, but I've seen people who get in their cars all pissed off in the morning about work and drive off with their foot on the floor and not see an engine problem until over 100K miles.

My Holden (GM) has a Gen III engine(45,000 miles) with significant piston slap and when it's cold sounds like a diesel for about three minutes. I am negotiating with the dealer to have "modified" teflon coated pistons fitted at GM's expense. they assure me that there's nothing wrong with the engine and the work is being done as a 'good will gesture.' I always allow the engine to warm up at idle and move off when the rattle has disappeared. am I right to do this then?

David

PS: this engine came from Ontario and over 10,000 were bought by GM Aust without warranty.... and they tell me that the rattle 'doesn't concern' North American owners.