HybridZ

Need opinion with air duct w/ LS1 Z

That looks alot like what I'm trying to do with the exception of placement. Mine is going over the radiator. Some metal cutting would be required on the upper radiator support and the belows would have to be extended. The Radiator support isnt a load bearing support on a 78 so I can cut it away and still pull wheelies (like you'll be doing). It look's like the stock hood has enough clearance for that to happen, but I have not tested it yet so dont quote me on it. The MAF will have to go between the Air cleaner and the snorkel and the IAT will have to be inserted into the snorkel.

Mine is a 78 280, yours is a 79 so there are many differences so place the snorkel over the radiator mount and see where you have to cut or clearance to make it an over the radiator mount.

Dale,

My project is a 77 280Z. The 79 is done lol. I am also want to make it to go over the radiator top support. Yes I understand that the top radiator support doesn't do much support there. I will add a triangle strut brace as soon as I put on the Cobra front clip so I can remove the top radiator support without worry. I see that the stock C5 had the radiator mount slanted and that's how the intake duct can go over it. I will give it some more thought.

LS1Z,

Thanks for the pix. I have it saved on my computer awhile back for reference. You are correct that the stock C5 duct looks a little restrictive. However it does looks alot better than the JTR rubber duct IMO. Plus everything is just plug in.

I will give it some more thought when I receive the aluminum radiator from Summit. I might have to end up cutting out the whole front top radiator support and build another support depends on how I want the radiator to lay or sit.

Thanks for the replies guys. If you have any more ideas please keep them coming.

I dont know who told you guys that the radiator support isnt important but I think most would argue that it is....atleast thats what I've always read/saw/been told. If you do remove it you should make a support that fits to take its place.

Guy

I dont know who told you guys that the radiator support isnt important but I think most would argue that it is....atleast thats what I've always read/saw/been told. If you do remove it you should make a support that fits to take its place.

Guy

Guess I said "cut it away". That's not the case. Sorry for the confussion.

I'm not going to remove the support, just trim it for clearance. I dont think I'll have any flexing issues past the towers since I have a brace across them.