HybridZ

Help ME! I am Confused R200 - R230 - Q45 - ZXTT -Z32 - Z33

qwik240z

Before you tell me to use the search function please know that I have spent the last 5 hours reading through the different posts about swapping in a stronger rear to handle the power of my LS1 motor.

My goal is to install a stronger diff then my R180 Nismo LSD rear.

I only want to do it one time. So I want it to be strong and reliable. I have a budget of $1500 give or take.

I don't plan on too many trips down the 1/4 mile track but I would like to be able to do a smokey burnout once in a while. I don't plan to runs slicks either.

I do plan to do track days and autocrosses and use sticky tires. I also plan to use it as a weekend cruiser and surprise the occasional Vette, Viper, DB9, etc.

I plan on runnig 225-50-16's on 16 X 7 Panasports.

I also plan to run a rear sway bar. I currently have a suspension techniques rear bar and would like to keep it.

For now my LS1 is a stock motor and puts down 317HP to the rear wheels and 365 RW torque. I am sure that I will be adding to it at some point in the future and would want to know that the rear I install will handle 400+ RWHP.

I was going to buy the billet moustash bar for the Q45 R230 but now I read that the Q45 is an R200. I don't really care if I get an R230 or an R200 as long as it is strong enough.

Ease of installation is also a plus. I haven't found anyone making a front mount for these diffs.

I read that Jody broke his R230 but I have seen him drive and he launches really hard. I doubt I would run my car that hard but you never know.

So please help! I need you Z gurus to show me the way. My head hurts from all of the confusion.

I'd suggest a clutch LSD, especially if you want to autox. Seen a few people put in Quaifes then take them back out again because they spin the inside rear at autox. I think some would say that you're fine with the regular old R200, and that would certainly be the easy way to get it done. The R230 or shortnose R200 is going require a bunch of fabrication. Hopefully this give you some things to consider anyway...

I've done the Q 45 diff. I use the car as a track car/weekend crusier. I'm buliding a dedicated track car. It will have an R200 clutch type lsd and CV half shafts. I'm running an ls1 and t56 in the new car. I'm sure the r200 will hold for road course duty on wide (315's) sticky rubber.

They Q diff has worked well but the time, money and effort to install it are not worth it for me on this new car.

If this was a drag car, I would use the R-230, Rosses adaptors and the BIG CV axels and build a cradle for the diff as others here have.

These observations come from 15 plus years on the track in various Z's with anything from an open R-180 to a NISMO r-200 lsd to the Q viscous lsd.

In the end, it won't matter too much what you choose because it will never be done. :)

Nice post mark,

I have been wondering about my diff choices also, and thought about the R230. The only other rear end choice that I have seen was the Gleason-Torsen diff that you can't get anymore for the R200.

After reading your post I will probably put in the clutch LSD and CV axles. It would save quite a bit of work.

If you did by chance run across a Gleason-Torsen diff, Id pick one up... but they are rare.