HybridZ

where to get a L28ET

rwdawg2

the title says it all.

where can i possible get a L28ET with the wiring harness and ecu.

everything that i possible need to swap an L28ET into an existing L28E 10th anniversary.

if anyone has one that i can get from them or has a place that is credible enough to get one from please let me know.

i am trying to avoid buying an entire parts car b/c that is a lot more money than just buying the motor. So if you can please help me out.

thanks alot

The only thing you would be lucky to find something new would be a Remanufacture directly from Nissan. A Used L28ET motor set can be found at Junkyards, Ebay, Classifieds on Z Car websites, its not a new nor overtly popular with all the importers making it extremely hard to find it from an engine importer. For a "new" like motor you'd be best rebuilding a used L28et or finding one that has recently rebuilt. Again its an older motor so its almost a guarantee that you are going to have rebuild something on it sooner or later.

Tyson

The only cheap route is to find one, locally or get a parts car(Yes, it could be cheaper to actually get a parts car). Buy it from a Z enthusiast who want to get rid of it. If you buy it from a parts dealer/parts collector of any sort it will be expensive because the common goal of the dealers is to make a profit, not to clean out their garages.

When I was searching for my L28ET, I contacted two guys : a local parts dealer, and a gentleman on the other side of the continent(Toronto). The dealer wants 2000$CDN for the whole thing(long block, harness, ECU) The Z guy in Toronto wants 700$CDN for the whole thing and gives me extras(volvo intercooler, j-pipe, clutch, starter, alternator.

Naturally, I bought it from the Z guy. After shipping(crate,freight,truck) across the continent, the total cost comes to 1345$CDN, still beats the parts guy's price.

Is it cheaper to get a parts car? YES!!! At that time there was a guy who's trying to get rid of his beater 81ZXT that starts and drives. He only wants 450$CDN but he's on an island so I never bothered. I didn't know the shipping across the continent is so expensive....otherwise I would have actually bought the car on the island, drive it home and pull the engine myself. Total cost would estimate at 650$ plus some hard work. Heck, I could sell off some parts on the beater to cut costs.

Dealer : 2000$cdn plus shipping

Z guy from across the continent : 1345$cdn all included

Local parts car : 450$cdn plus travelling costs and insurance(+200$cdn),can sell parts to reduce costs(-100$cdn).

Parts car the most expensive route? Not really.

I just did a search for a 83 turbo engine on car-part.com (a network of wreckers across canada and the US) Here is what I came up with in GA alone..

Engine

Nissan 280 ZX MATCH ENG02 $550 Hon's Automotive USA-GA(Cochran) E-mail 1-800-852-1526

Engine

Nissan 280 ZX SOLD TURBO 890 $450 A and B Auto Salvage USA-GA(Griffin) E-mail 1-800-726-1570

Engine

Nissan 280 ZX $400 AAA Parts Plus USA-GA(Columbus) E-mail 1-877-324-3777

Engine

Nissan 280 ZX 2D0HB,HB,RWD,2XR,SIL ,2.8,5SPD,9 82 5L0060 $350 Lavonia Auto Salvage, Inc. USA-GA(Canon) E-mail 1-800-895-1492

Engine

Nissan 280 ZX AT,2.8,1-82,REPLACED ,VERY DECENT 171,142 5657 $350 Capital Auto Parts, Inc. USA-GA(Thomasville) E-mail 1-800-868-7879

Engine

Nissan 280 ZX ,",",05C12-0.1 -321 $Call C & L Used Auto Parts USA-GA(Atlanta) Request_Quote 1-404-755-3595 Request_Insurance_Quote

Too bad, the only turbo engine(450$) is sold.

Yeah, I dunno.. the search engine asked me if I wanted a turbo or non turbo.. Obviously I put turbo, but who knows what the wreckers actually enter in their database. It couldn't hurt to give them a call anyway. Also, that is just the results I got from RWDAWG's local state. I'm sure with a wider search, something's gotta turn up.

"i am trying to avoid buying an entire parts car b/c that is a lot more money than just buying the motor. "

Beware of the assumptions you make, as this one is FAR off base! I have spent $100 for a COMPLETE ZXT in Lien Sales, and have NEVER paid more than $475 for the whole vehicle. There are plenty of rusted, rolled, crashed ZXT's out there CHEAP to choose from...

Most engines bare without loom sell for more than 2X my average whole car purchase: $200.

Watching internet boards and E-Bay is probably your best bet at this point of the game---but you will pay almost as much for a "claimed running" setup there that you will for a wrecked or rusted ZXT. Buying the car allows you to get it running BEFORE you do the swap---an IMPORTANT consideration.

Car-parts.com has helped me out alot.

i have been in contact with a few people that have some L28ET's and i think i am going to go get one here in a few weeks.

But if any of you guys find some more l28et's or the wiring harness or ecu's or transmissions please let me know.

thanks guys

Hey man you and me are in the sam boat. I too am looking for an L28et. Ive also searched car-parts.com and found an engine near me!!! just need a ECU, I was wondering if there is an alernate ECU to get beside the stock turbo one. Is there a better turbo ECU?

Search for Z31(first generation 300ZX) Turbo ECU in the forum. Apparently, only ECUs from a certain year of 300ZXT will work. But you still need to replace AFM with MAF, and I think you also need to use a different type of O2 sensor if you want to use Z31 ECU. If you think it's bothersome then you should just find a 280ZXT ecu. The main benefit of 300ZXT ECU is the "potential" to be reprogrammed and ability to precess data in finer increments(256bit). You should post in the classifieds, I bet you'll get an 280ZXT ECU and harness quick.

I am going to use a 1988 Maxima ECU from the j/y, but that requires removing the chip and reprogramming/tuning.

Nothing needs to be done to make them fit. The Z31 ECU has the same plug pattern as the 280ZXT ECU. MAF and AFM also share the same plug IIRC. The pattern on my Maxima ECU is also the same.

There are some minor modifications that need to be done to the harness. Even if you use a stock 84-86 300zxt ecu there is a big improvement in the way the engine runs. I would never go back to the L28et computer. This is a little bit of a complex subject however as there are many routes you can go depending on exacty which ecu you get your hands on. I suggest that you read Afshin's sticky post at the top of the turbo/supercharger forum.

BTW, I'm glad that car-parts.com helped you guys out.