HybridZ

240z buildup thread

Guest vegard

New member, I thought I should start a buildup thread... Im building a 240z for street/track use. This car will have a L28et. I would like to use this thread as a place to post progress and more importantly ask questions. Here is a pic of the car in its current state:

PB200029.JPG

HEre are the plans for it:

built l28 turbo with AEM computer

roll cage (in progress.. will post pics)

suspension upgrades.

fuel cell

T-5 tranny

HEre are a couple pics of the roll cage progress (many more bars to come):

PB200032.JPG

PB200035.JPG

PB200034.JPG

Basically I want to keep the cage as close to the body as possible, and I plan to go through the dash, and if possible put the dash bar under the dash. Anyway, thats what I have so far, and I will keep posting pics as I go along in this thread. I hope to start rebuilding the engine the next couple weeks.

First question: Should I just forget about the hydraulic lifter head that I have now?

by the way, excuse me, Im better in the fabrication department than engine, but I will be learning, hopefully you guys can help me through the engine build up.

thanks for reading,

- Vegard

Have you tried fitting your seat in there and sitting in it? Normally the main hoop follows the curve of the car a little closer so that you have room to get the seat in. You might be OK depending on how tall you are, but that isn't the way they're normally done. I know my seat sticks out about 3 inches behind the hoop in a comfortable position for me and I'm 6' tall.

How did you cut the pipes in front to fit the curve of the rocker? What type of saw? Going to be doing that type of cut pretty soon. I was trying to figure out what to use and had come up empty so far. Looks like yours turned out nice.

I am actually researching seats right now, specifically looking at the cobra monaco. Im not sure what you mean by clearance to get the seat in. I tested with the stock seat, and it clears no problem. I didnt want an extra side bend to make the roll hoop match the body better for strength reasons. As far as cutting tube, I have 4.5" angle grinder and a drop saw. And I notch tubes with those too, using a paper cutout to give the fishmouth. Anyway, does someone have an opinion on seats? I want a fixed seat with good side support thats not outrageously expensive.

You want to make sure there is not a issue with a helmeted head contacting the halo or your hands aren't to close to the a-pillar bar. Make real sure it'll all work out... Come to our little shindig December 3rd, bring a camera and take pics and measurements of my car.

Mike :2thumbs:

I know my head will clear becasue the bar is tucked up in the roof so it doesnt hang below the crossmember. thinking about it, I may have to make a new roll hoop that has another bend per side, as all the seats I see are wide, but I am not sure. Im now looking at corbeau Forza, or sparco print seats also. any advice on these? I am 6' with 32" waist. I will see if I can test out some seats tomorrow and hopefully make a purchase. you have a picture of your roll hoop?

- Vegard

Here's a link to a thread about my new Ultra-Shield seat: [url=http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=103817]http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=103817[/url']. Cheap and good support.

I like those. I think Ill call them tomorrow. Just for reference, what angle and width did you get, and what size are you?

Thanks.

- vegard

10º layback. I got a 15" and I am 6' and ~190 lbs with a 34" waist.

The main thing is how broad your chest is. Have someone help you measure. Stand against a wall and have the other person measure the distance from one side of your chest to the other about 1" below your armpits. I held two rulers under my arms and my wife made sure they were squared to the wall and then measured between them. I think I came out 14.5", but when I asked the guy he said go with the 15" because of the padding thickness. He was right, it fits like a glove.

Looks like a very nice alternative. I sat in a Kirkey intermediate at OG Racing and thought it would be a nice seat to swap my new Corbeaus for. I want a non-reclining seat and mine recline.

You can see pics of my cage fitment here: http://photos.yahoo.com/dat74z in the folder "new ZcarProject"

Pete Paraska, Jody and David are all from Maryland and are coming on the 3rd. You might want to snag a ride with one of them and come down. We have a very good show and tell, and usually put a car on the lift and tinker/ kick around ideas... It's a true car guys day! And most of these guys will be seeing my cage work and other stuff done to the car for the first time and possibly taking a joy ride or two in the C5 with the new motor in it. :-)

Mike

I have to work on the the 3rd, too bad. Maybe next time. Hopefully over thanksgiving I can get some more done on my cage. By the way, I ordered seats by Ultra-shield.

I will post some more pictures in the coming days.

• 2 weeks later...

some updated pics.... I am waiting for seats so I can do the harness bar and a couple other tubes (like door bars) Tomorrow Ill be working on the front strut brace, and connecting it to the firewall.

a.JPG

c.JPG

e.JPG

g.JPG