HybridZ

I'm so proud of myself, I learned how to drive stick

zguy95135

Let's see. My dad always had cars with automatics but I learned how to drive a "three on the tree" during driver's ed when I was 14 -that was in 1962. I've driven a standard transmission car ever since I bought my own new car which was a 1970 'Cuda.

My oldest son nearly had a coronary when I told him he was going to take his driving test in our '83 Sentra which had a 5-spd. manual. It took him about 3 days to master it, passed the test with flying colors, and has driven a standard transmission car ever since. Younger sone thesame thing. He got stuck in a Bronco II with an automatic for a while and hated it - even though it was a super clean and well kept vehicle - so I sold it and gave him my old '83 280ZX with a 5-spd. and he's happy now. Something about guys and manual transmissions.

My car isnt shitty enough to master the clutchless on.

I used to do this with my 1986 Chevy Sprint, it WAS shetty enough learn, then after I got the 1992 Prelude in 1997... Well $2000 in transmission parts can't be wrong. I unlearned clutchless immediately. Man that chevy took a beating!

Stuipd California smog stole my car... actually both of them! So what if it burns a quart of oil every fillup, the oil didn't drip. And So what if it smelled like a deisel truck. and so what if it had 8X the maximum for HC emmissions it got 55-60 MPG! WTF? Ok so now you're going to tell me that an F350 with a 460 V8 getting 7MPG on a good day puts out less emmissions than my 3cyl 1.0L??? Maybe it did on a per million particle basis but that F350 has a heck of a lot more particles per mile! It's totally unfair! They should collect emmissions on a timed basis as in particles per minute instead of per million if they are going to be smart about the environment. Someday I swear I'm moving to an unincorporated area!

I learned clutches when I was 10. It was a Honda XL70 motorcycle named "Sweet Pea". It wasn't too hard to transfer that motorcycle knowledge to cars, although you can't just put your feet down to keep from rolling back on a hill in a car. I bought my first automatic vehicle three years ago, it was a 97 Sentra, then my 2nd this year, a GMC 1500. The Sentra we got because traffic in Seattle is just insanely bad. The GMC was auto because they don't offer it in stick. I feel like I have a lot more control with a stick.

I learned stick on an 89 turbo/intercooled LeBarn 4 door. One of 256 ever made, it was a beast. Now I have to keep an auto car around for those days when my left knee isn't feeling up to par to holding the ole' clutch. 18 and already have an iffy knee...

A 89 Lebaron? Is that the one that was driven by Jon Voit and George Costanza by chance? ;) (sorry, couldn't resist!)

I learned stick on an 89 turbo/intercooled LeBarn 4 door. One of 256 ever made, it was a beast. Now I have to keep an auto car around for those days when my left knee isn't feeling up to par to holding the ole' clutch. 18 and already have an iffy knee...

If clutches are a big problem for you research FIAT clutches. Basically the clutch I learned on requires the same amount of effort to depress fully as the gas pedal. I didn't like it because the car felt like a toy, although it did completment the stock ultra light flywheel. If you got a knee problem I am sure this would be a great remedy. It probably uses a booster btw.