HybridZ

Interested in your opinions

Guest dats240

Guest dats240

Hello everyone, i'm new to the site and am in the process of doing lots of research and i am seriously considering doing a sbc swap into my early '74 260. While i wasn't actively looking quite yet, I saw in my local paper this weekend a '93 Firebird Formula which has an LS1 with body damage listed for $1,250.

Some of my questions are as follows.

-The car has an automatic which i really do not desire. What manual transmissions would work with this motor besides obviously a Pontiac firebird/trans/am and how much should i expect to pay for a used tranny?

-Would you run into problems switching the type of transmission in terms of either how the the motor runs and/or the ecu?

My main question i suppose is how much is this motor really worth? I believe the ad said it has around 90k miles. Would it be easier to just wait and try and find a motor with a manual trans?

-Thanks to any and all responses, they are greatly appreciated

Hi, I think you'll find that car has a LT1, aluminum heads- cast iron block. They didn't put the LS1 in a F-body until '98. Both came with a T56 six speed, but there is some differences between them, bellhousings and some other stuff. For a LS1, there is some minor reprograming to be done in the PCM when you switch from an auto to manual. Don't know if this is the case withy the LT1. Good luck with your project!

lt1's with auto's can be had from ebay dismantlers for $1500 to $1700. The 93 versions are less desireable than the 94 and up ones because the ECM is programmed with a chip and not software. I think in 94 they went from speed density to mass air flow (or vice versa). I forget what the difference is, but supposedly the 94 version is better from a modification and tuning.

T56 manuals for that engine have to come from the LT1 equiped cars. They are actually more expensive than the LS versions since the LT1 tranny's are more readily back fit in the first generation SBC.

$1200 is not a bad asking price for a complete vehicle. Take a look at it and try offering $900.

The LT1 can also use a T5 transmission. I got an LT1 from car with an automatic and put together a tranny package using a world class T5, Flywheel from a later 305 that used a 1 piece rear main seal, 83-91 V8 Camaro bellhousing, clutch fork, slave cylinder, clutch disk and pressure plate. I used a Wilwood master cylinder but there are others that will work just as well. If you decide to buy this car grab everything you can from it and be sure to get the complete engine wiring harness being sure not to cut any of it.

Pop_N_Wood is correct, the 93 year is the least desirable but can be converted to use the later computer. Not very hard to do and gives you the opportunity to switch the system to use a MAF rather than Speed-Density if you want. You'll also want to upgrade the opti-spark for reliability reasons. 94 and 95 models are better with the 95 the most desirable because it's still OBDI, computer can be flash programmed and it has the vented opti.

Wheelman

Guest dats240

thanks wheelman, good stuff. I think all things considered I'll pass on this one, and wait until i am truly ready and prepared. Since it is a '93 and an automatic, i dont see the point in going out of my way now and have to deal with all the possible headaches down the road. If anyone does have any interest in this car it can be found in New York's Newsday and I believe it is located in Suffolk county, I never even talked to the guy, so i dont have too much info to relay.

Hum hum... owning a 93 Trans Am currently (LT1 w/ an M29 T56 transmission)... I'd like to say that 93 vs 94-97 is really an opinion/preference issue in many ways.

- Some argue that the speed density cars are often faster than the MAF cars.

- The ECM (vs the PCM on 94-02) is modified using "piggyback chip" programming, which is definately cheaper than dynotuning a 94+ PCM.. and in many cases can accomplish just as much.

There are lots of small differences. There are some differences between 93-94 vs 95-97. Some between 93 vs 94-97. Some between 93-95.5 and 95.5-97. Etc, etc, etc.

For 93-specific LT1 info... maybe see the boards at http://www.speeddensity.org

Drew